Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What could I build around this output transformer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What could I build around this output transformer?

Got my hands on one of these Mojo Music Man 130 output transformers and have no real use for it. The leads have been trimmed so I can't return it. It's rated up to 130 watts, 5.5k primary, 4 and 8 ohm secondaries.

Mojo Transformers » Music Man 4-130 Output Transformer

Obviously I can build any of those compatible Music Mans but I was hoping there was a comparable Fender build I can use this on. I'm not sure which tube type would work well with the 5.5k primary. Any suggestions?

They either had a quad of 6L6's or EL34s... There are a lot of things you could do with that.

Comment

BF Twin Reverb or Shaman Reverb
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I thought so but the output transformer that Fender used for the Twin and Showman had a 2k primary. Would this throw the sound enough to not bother?

Comment

It's going to take a very high B+ to get 130W out of that OT. So high you can't run the screens at near the same voltage. Plan on some kind of split supply, a voltage doubler like MM used or a solid state regulated screen supply.
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

not looking to squeeze 130w out of it. will it sound off if i build something in the 50w range off this ot?

Comment

sorry still trying to understanding transformer design. is the wattage rating on an output transformer simply a "max capacity, do no exceed!" type of rating? or does it involve something else as well?

what im trying to say is, should a 130w output transformer be used close to to its potential for best sound? or could you build a 50w design around it and just take those extra 80w as a safety buffer

Comment

Sounds like it's ideally suited for a pair of KT88's or 6550's with a high voltage supply- should be able to use an antec inc toroid and run it with with the screens at half the voltage of the plate supply.

Comment

Originally posted by disorder View Post
                  not looking to squeeze 130w out of it. will it sound off if i build something in the 50w range off this ot?
                  With that primary Z you could definitely run a pair of EL34 or 6L6 with it.
                  My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

In general, this OT will have lots of clean bass if run at say, 60W. That's not a bad thing, but it won't sound like a Marshall. Maybe more of a Hiwatt vibe depending on what tubes you use. You can see the trend here is away from a Fender type sound, cleaner and more HiFi. Overdrive might be a little clanky, not as warm as a Fender. I could be wrong so experiment and have fun.
                    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I have a music man output from one of the "65" watt amps- I've watched it produce clean 40 Hz sine waves in excess of its rated 65 watts on a test bench with EL34's at around 550 volts. There isn't anything wrong with using your transformer for something lower powered but to me it would be a shame to waste the excellent bass response on say...a 35 watt open back 6l6 powered amp. On the other hand a twin reverb or plexi power transformer (check out triode electronics) matched to that output would make an excellent and very loud amp. There are about a billion different preamp designs to pick from but with nice output iron like that I would tend to favor clean amps or amps that rely almost entirely on preamp distortion. It wouldn't be my choice for a Trainwreck or JTM45 clone, that's for sure!

Jamie

Comment

Wait a sec, I just did a little research. You have the mojo version of the actual music man TF I have. Pretty nice transformer! Pretty much anything in the 50-60 watt range will be great. You might wanna shoot for slightly high plate voltages and slightly large screen resistors. There are quite a few PT's that'll work great. For the money I'd probably go with an Antek, assuming you're OK with a toroid.

jamie

Comment

Disorder,
                          Just out of curiosity. What is the weight of the transformer?
                          Tom

Comment

All that metal would sound pretty good in a 50w something or other. I've got a Fender Bantam and the last owner replaced the 30w output with a Twin Reverb output and changed the speaker impedance to match, kinda like what Leo did with the Vibrasonic. It adds a lot to the bottom end.

Comment

Working...
                            X