Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short piece of wire attached to pin 9 of a 12Ax7. What is your role?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short piece of wire attached to pin 9 of a 12Ax7. What is your role?

Does anyone know the function of this? This is a piece of wire connected to pin 9 of a socket. It is seen in Dual Rectifier, Roadking, Roadster...
    Regards
    Last edited by Pedro Vecino; 07-13-2010, 10:50 PM.

Google "dord".
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

I always like to refer to those as "Mojo wires". See them a lot in Boogies...

Seriously though it MIGHT actually have something to do with hum reduction or even oscillation prevention. You could try just picking up the loose end to see if it makes any difference at all, and all it will cost you is a dab of adhesive to put it back.

Comment

Boogies are sensitive to the phase of the moon as regards oscillating or not. 8-)
        Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Comment

...pin 9 on the 12AX7 is the 'center tap' between the two filament heater ends, so it looks like a 'proviso' for possibly using some other tube with 6.3V filament instead of 12.6V filament.

...looks sorta like a "filament voltage 'lift' circuit" that's no longer implemented.
          Last edited by Old Tele man; 07-14-2010, 02:42 AM.
          ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Someone gave me some advice a while back about using a shortish trace connected to the heater and moving it around in the right place to use as a hum reduction method. Can't say weather it works or not.

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
              Boogies are sensitive to the phase of the moon as regards oscillating or not. 8-)
              Ahh....thanks R.G.! So it's all about the phase of the moon.....For a moment I mistakenly thought those wires were short antennas to tune the amp to some alien entity brain's frequencies and use them to generate some odd (strange) harmonics in the amp by additive synthesis.....

Cheers

Bob
              Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Dual Rectifiers are very sensitive to the oscillation in pushed mode (first channel). These pieces of wire are on V2 and could have relation with it. Yesterday I had none but right today I have received another. When I open it I will try to orient it differently...

Comment

Remember to wrap your skull in tinfoil before doing that, or Aliens could find you're messing with their cleverly disguised brain disrupters.
                  Ah !! y me olvidaba !!!! Aguante España !!!! Feliz Mundial !!
                  Y cuídennos la Copa, que la próxima es nuestra !!!
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

What happens when you lift the wire?
                    -Mike

Comment

Don't cross the beams!

Comment

Seriously, though, from the picture it looks like the wire lays right across two coupling caps. I think the "induce some hum cancellation" is probably most accurate. Glued into that position, it radiates 3V of 60Hz AC. As close as it is to the caps, it has a good chance of coupling some of that into the signal path.

The best test is to remove it and see if hum comes up.

Radio amateurs were all familiar with the "gimmick" cap, two wires twisted together and clipped to length to tune the interwire capacitance. You get about 2pF per inch, depending on wire size, insulation thickness, air humidity, phase of the moon, etc. This looks like another old amateur radio trick, maybe.

And it's cheaper than making the circuit hum-immune, or inducing the right hum cancellation somewhere else. I suspect that the wire is put in and trimmed to length to get just the right amount of cancellation in a listening test.

Just a theory. Could happent that way. Your mileage may vary. I'll respect you in the morning.

Comment

...I was (jokingly) gonna call it a "one-wire" gimmick, but chickened out.
                          ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Does this amp have a DC Heater supply on the preamp? Many amps built on Printed Circuit Boards use DC heater supplies and series connections to eliminate hum pickup by all the circuitry on the board.
                            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Most Boogies only have V1 running with a DC heater.
                              Some have V1 + V2 on DC.
                              Having all that gain no wonder they're temperamental.
                              It's amazing they dont implode in a burst of feedback !

Comment

Working...
                              X