Fender Super 60 Input Jack Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Super 60 Input Jack Repair

I recently purchased a Fender Super 60 at a price I could not pass up. Among it's issues are the typical broken input jacks that these Red Knob amps are famous for.

Enzo was kind enough to suggest this replacement jack from TubesAndMore.com.

But I wonder if "upgrading" to this Torres Engineering kit might be a better move.

Any opinions on the Torres Engineering kit, or any other alternatives? Any hints on doing this job? Do I need to pull out the entire PCB board to do it?

Furthermore, can anyone tell me if it's "safe" to use the second input jack as a "through" jack, essentially using the input jacks as a splitter to run the input signal into two amps in parallel? Is it going to be a ground loop / hum nightmare?

[Rather than attaching the same schematic that's already located on the server, it's located in this thread for your convenience.]
    Last edited by swhiteh3; 07-14-2010, 12:41 AM. Reason: Add question about input jacks as a "splitter".

I had a Super 60 for a short time and had the input jack fail. (Tripped on the cable) IIRC, they were replaced by Switchcrafts hard wired into the appropriate PCB connections.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Thats what I'd do....
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Joe- When you say "hard-wired", are you referring to literally wiring it to the PCB board rather the soldering it directly to the PCB board (which is, I assume, how it's mounted now?). Of course, if switchcraft doesn't make a matching PCB-mount jack, then that might be the only option...

Comment

Originally posted by swhiteh3 View Post
          Joe- When you say "hard-wired", are you referring to literally wiring it to the PCB board rather the soldering it directly to the PCB board (which is, I assume, how it's mounted now?). Of course, if switchcraft doesn't make a matching PCB-mount jack, then that might be the only option...
          Yes, that's correct. I just used a Switchcraft jack (with the same switching scheme) and ran wires from the jack's terminals to their respective connections on the circuit board.
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
          - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
          X