Fender Super 60 Reverb Tank Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Super 60 Reverb Tank Replacement

I recently purchased a Fender Super 60 at a price I could not pass up. In addition to it's ultra-common input jack failure, it is somehow COMPLETELY missing the reverb tank. There are two RCA jacks just hanging there.

Offline, Enzo cited the schematic and told me that this Reverb Tank, from TubesAndMore.com, would essentially be a direct replacement. He also noted that this Reverb tank would be a slightly better one, and as long as it fit (I've measured and it does) then this would be a good upgrade while I'm at it.

Is there anything to installing these other than simply bolting them down and plugging them in? Silly question, but is it obvious (or does it even matter) which RCA jack goes where on the tank? Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions on the matter?

[Rather than attaching the same schematic that's already located on the server, it's located in this thread for your convenience.]

Reverb notes:

The reverb pan has two jacks - INPUT and OUTPUT. The amp has two cables. The amp has a drive circuit that connects to the reverb pan INPUT jack. The OUTPUT of the reverb pan then connects to the return circuit of the amp.

SImple test. Turn the amp on and the reverb up partway. Find the two cables plugged into the amp, the two free ends will plug into the reverb pan. Touch the tip of each plug with a finger. One of them will make hum in the speaker. THAT plug goes into the OUTPUT jack.

You figure out where the other one goes.

The reverb pan is a mechanical system. It works on vibration. If vibrations from the speaker get into it, it can cause feedback. SO we need to isolate the reverb pan acoustically. NEVER screw the pan down tight. The pans usually come with four spongy grommets in the holes. To mount the pan by itself, we run screws through the grommets, but tighten them down ONLY far enough to keep the pan from flopping around loose. The pan should be free to wiggle, and sit there floating on its grommets. Better yet, no screws and put the pan in a vinyl reverb bag. AES sells them. A screw through either end of the bag is enough. Cut a piece of cardboard to cover the open side of the pan and tape it there before bagging.

The OUTPUT end of the pan is a sensitive pickup. It can sense the magnetic field around the power transformer in th amp. Always mount the pan facing the direction that leaves the OUTPUT end as far from the powr transformer as possible.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo! Since there are no other opinions or ideas, I'll go ahead and order the larger tank (it does fit) and a reverb bag.

Interestingly, Tubes & More is highlighting a tech section right now on spring reverb units here.
      Last edited by swhiteh3; 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM. Reason: Add tech link

Comment

Working...
      X