Gibson Angus Young Bridge Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Angus Young Bridge Pickup

I found this about the Angus young bridge signature.
    It's a Alnico 5 with 43 gauge wire.
    Anyone got an Idea what 43 gauge wire, (probably 43 PE) and what the DCR of the coils would read??? I like his tone and I think it would be fairly easy to duplicate if we new what the DCR. I also read somewhere that the coils were equally wound.

The Gibson USA Angus Young SG is equipped with a Gibson 57 Classic humbucking pickup in the neck (rhythm) position and a Gibson Angus Young model humbucker in the bridge (lead) position. Gibson’s 57 Classic is acknowledged as one of the best reproductions of the original PAF humbucker available today. It is wound with 42-gauge plain-enamel coated wire and carries an alnico II magnet just like vintage PAFs. Gibson’s Angus Young is made in the image of a “vintage-modified” pickup for extra output in the bridge position. It is wound with added turns of 43-gauge wire, and uses an alnico V magnet for added punch and clarity without any sacrifice of sweetness and musicality.
    Tonal Characteristics
    The 57 Classic in the neck position yields warm, smooth, vocal tones with outstanding clarity and definition. The Angus Young model in the bridge position is a hotter PAF-style pickup, and it offers a meaty midrange, plenty of punching power for crunchy power-chord rhythm tones, and more than enough sizzle and cut for high-gain lead work.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Angus Young Pickup in SG - HELP! - SG - Gibson Forums
    same poster different forum
    Gibson Angus Young pickup problem? HELP - My Les Paul Forums
    there's lots of talk here but it all looks like the same thing
    Google
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      Angus Young Pickup in SG - HELP! - SG - Gibson Forums
      same poster different forum
      Gibson Angus Young pickup problem? HELP - My Les Paul Forums
      there's lots of talk here but it all looks like the same thing
      Google
      Thanks Copperheadroads:
      I looked thru most of that, & some other stuff I found along the same line.
      So after reading the problem, it appeared that there were 2 coils of 4.8 = to 9.6k dcr.
      I kept reading and it appeared that others said 13.6 to 14+k dcr.
      That makes more since. There wouldn't be any reason to wind 9.6k with 43 gauge.
      I can do that with 42.
      so the 14k makes more since.
      that would be like a sh-5 or sh-14 duncan custom the sh5 has ceramic and the sh14 is a A5.
      Also I was wondering what the tonal differece of an A8 magnet is compared to an A5, if they both had about the same gauss rate of an A5?
      Next time I get any magnets I'm going to get a A8 to play with.
      The Angus Young is supposed to be equipped with the A5.
      So I guess if someone can verify that the Angus model is supposed to be around 14k. I'm thinking 12-14k of 43 Gauge PE with A5 Magnet with medium gauss.
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

the reason they use 43 is you wont get 9.6 k of 42 they will be too full .......or go ahead and try it . there's nothing getting your own results
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          the reason they use 43 is you wont get 9.6 k of 42 they will be too full .......or go ahead and try it . there's nothing getting your own results
          Also 43 will sound different from 42.

One version of that guitar used Duncans....

Seymour's Corner - Seymour Duncan helps Angus Young with his tone - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Oh Frank... where you at?
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
            Also 43 will sound different from 42.

One version of that guitar used Duncans....

Seymour's Corner - Seymour Duncan helps Angus Young with his tone - Seymour Duncan/Basslines

Oh Frank... where you at?
            You're correct. I've done more searching since original post.
            On wikipedia it said that all of his early SGs had original low output gibson humbuckers.
            He worked with Gibson to come up with the Angus Young model, but doesn't use that pickup in any of his guitars.
            I read the Seymour link that you sent, and it said he uses a variation of the pearly gates.
            That's probably his current touring pickup of choice, and that's really more what I thought it sounded like.
            I make a vary similar pickup, so I will quit the Quest for the Angus Bridge pickup.
            I figure he uses a Pearly Gates with the A5 Magnet.
            Thanks,
            Terry
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              I figure he uses a Pearly Gates with the A5 Magnet.
              That seems to be what people think it is. Frank posts here, but I don't expect him to give away any secrets.

Ironically I have a customer's guitar here, a Tele, with a Pearly Gates at the bridge and he wanted to know what I could do to make it brighter with more snap, so I figured I could try sticking an A5 in it.

Then I saw this thread.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

That seems to be what people think it is. Frank posts here, but I don't expect him to give away any secrets.

Ironically I have a customer's guitar here, a Tele, with a Pearly Gates at the bridge and he wanted to know what I could do to make it brighter with more snap, so I figured I could try sticking an A5 in it'
                Then I saw this thread.
                Here's the data for the alnico2 Pro-Slash it is 8.53k at the bridge.
                I figure the Angus Pearly Gates, is the Pro-slash coils with the A5 Magnet!

APH-2 Alnico II Pro-Slash 1-Con Braid Shield Neck: 7.92 k
                Bridge: 8.53 k
                Neck: 6.4 KHz
                Bridge: 6 KHz Alnico II Bar
                Terry

Comment

Frank posts here, but I don't expect him to give away any secrets.
                  I'm sure I can't give them away even if I wanted to. Part of that back story is that Angus & his tech went to a lot of people before they came to us, but we nailed it, and he's using those guitars live. Not to take anything away from the stock or signature pickups, but we just happened to have the knowledge to balance the attributes of both of those guitars with the pickup.

Gibson sells an Angus Young SG with Custom Shop Pearly Gates. I'm pretty sure that since they're calling them Pearly Gates, there are no differences in the magnet type or wind. The Custom Shop comes out and uses the Leesona for most PE work, if it's "gibsony" in nature, but there's a chance these were wound on one of the Custom Shop's machines if they had something special in mind, but to say Pearly Gates should mean it's the PG number of turns, and probably the same tension/traverse/etc and therefore probably done on the Leesona. I'll bet they have the Antiquity magnet, maybe custom degaussed, and of course the covers were aged. I think they're chrome plated too, whereas we use nickel.

I can say this: Neither of the two pickups we made for his two main live guitars are Pearly Gates. One is close, but the other may not even be Plain Enamel. It's very much not the Slash coil, but MJ was working on both around the same time and the one pickup may employ a few of the tricks used for the Slash pickup. As for the magnet, I can't confirm it's A2 nor the gauss strength but I can say he's a low gauss kind of guy.

Some other tips we can share are that he plays unbelievably loud (as you know) and almost everything on the guitar is suspect to feedback. Rattly saddles, loosely mounted pickups, etc. It's all suspect. They want everything on the guitar tight and feedback-free. We included custom foam placement under the pickups, and I think we might have used surgical tubing instead of springs. He goes for perpetual string feedback all the time, but if the pickup starts whistling, or something starts rattling then he's pissed. He wants that experience where you hold the guitar up and it just "goes". All this to say that Angus' tone definitely includes wax potting.

His tone also includes light strings and a very light pick attack. He makes wild movements, and looks like he's banging away, but the pick is really just brushing the strings. If you're banging away on the strings they're doing something completely different to the magnetic field, and that's going to make chasing his tone far more difficult. You may get there, but it wouldn't be by using the same pickups that he does. Instead, you'd have to wind a pickup to sound like Angus under the harder picking style.

Perhaps the biggest thing I can add to this is that since it's only recent, I couldn't tell you what he used historically, and I can assure you that NONE of the albums you've heard were made with these pickups! LOL It's just what satisfies him today. That's the tough part. It's like the new Yngwie pickups. They are what he wants NOW, but no one could deny the fact that almost everything you've ever heard him do was on the Dimarzios.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    Here's the data for the alnico2 Pro-Slash it is 8.53k at the bridge.
                    I figure the Angus Pearly Gates, is the Pro-slash coils with the A5 Magnet!

APH-2 Alnico II Pro-Slash 1-Con Braid Shield Neck: 7.92 k
                    Bridge: 8.53 k
                    Neck: 6.4 KHz
                    Bridge: 6 KHz Alnico II Bar
                    The Pearly Gates bridge is 8.35K, so it's not the same coils. They did make a Pearly Gates Plus at one time.... maybe it's more like that one.

Comment

Working...
                    X