Measuring Tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring Tension

I was wondering if anybody has an easy way to measure wire tension, doesn't have to be real sceintific (but thanks for all your help Joe Gwinn! Do you work for NASA?), but something that will get me in the ballpark. I think I've got "feel" part of it down, I don't warp bobbins anymore, but just wanted a better way to define my winding tension. I use the ol felt method with a guitar knob adjustment like Lollar's book shows.

Thanks
    Jeff

Find a spring scale that measures in grams. I have actually seem them for use with magnet wire in an old catalog. I don't use one. Personally I just do it by feel but some sort of spring scale should do the trick.
    They don't make them like they used to... We do.
    www.throbak.com
    Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

As far as I know there isnt a very good way to do it because of the oblong nature of the bobbin and the whip that occurs as the bobbin rotates. I use tension gauge but I got only get an average, not an actual set measurement. The one I have is made by tensitron in harvard mass and goes from 0-60 grams tension. However, the wire is so fine and and at such high speed it actually ads tension to the process.

Comment

+1 with the feel - you're going to be there anyway.

I thought you could hang a small weight from the wire and measure its height but apparently that doesn't work:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t14205/

Comment

I have been using this tension gauge I found on ebay for about $20. New ones cost a whole lot more though. It reads 0 - 50 grams and has a movable pointer to record the maximum tension reached. My winder uses two felt pad thumbscrew type tensioners. I like to go by feel too, but I do think the gauge helps me to insure that I have the tension set the same each time. It doesn't take the dynamics into account but it does give a repeatable reference point.

www.sonnywalton.com
          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

Somehow I knew it wasn't going to be the answer I was looking for! Who makes that gauge you have SonnyW? Reference point, yes, exactly.

Jeff

Comment

The gauge I have was made by Jonard Industries, Tuckahoe N.Y. The model is GD-5 reads 0- 50 grams. I usually set the tension about 30- 35, so it is about right. I just wrap the wire around the lever and pull some through then read the maximum. I also have one that I got first which was made by Correx in Switzerland but I have found that it is too strong it reads from 100-2000 grams. I got them both on ebay for about $20 each. These run upwards of $200 purchased new, but I see them used on ebay pretty often. I think one that reads from 0 - 100 grams would be ideal.

Update - I just checked on ebay and here are a couple that are up there right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHERR-TUMICO-0-...item563e3449c4

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOMFY-TEC-TENSIO...item255c20395c
              Last edited by SonnyW; 07-28-2010, 03:48 AM. Reason: added links.
              www.sonnywalton.com
              How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

Working...
              X