peavey triumph 60 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavey triumph 60 problem

ok so recently i bought this triumph 60 combo from the 80's or something, and it worked for about 2 months then just stopped. turned it on one day and the front led's lit up but nothing else, no tube glow whatsoever, and a baaaarely audible hum from the speaker, with no sound otherwise.

i sent it back to the guy who sent it to me who put 2 new output valves in and got it working briefly for about a day, although the sound was quite differnt and noticably weaker. then it just died in exactly the same way as before. he didnt say if he'd done any other modifications to it although on examining the chassis it appears both the tone stack and the diode mod have been done...... hmm

im fairly new to tube amps and valves i have next to no idea about the workings of this amp.. so does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? ive read it could be many differnt things from tubes to transformers
    and any help would be greatly appreciated as i am recording an album currently and the finished product depends on the amp!!

thanks in advance

looking inside there isnt any major sign of damage although there are small brown rings around the solder connecting the tubes onto the pcb, and one of the ribbon cables connecting the output pcb to the preamp pcb has 2 brown burn marks on the plastic connectors and a slight buildup of something on one of the pins. apart from this there is nothing obvious, except none of the tubes glow at all!

Comment

See my response to this over on the Peavey board.

You have lost the heater voltage, and that burnt ribbon connector is probably why.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hi Enzo

Sorry if I have asked this question before but judging by all the other very unhappy peeps with a Triumph 60 do you know if we can change the voicing and nasty fizzzy distortion on the Crunch/Ultra cnannels to a warmer sound on these amps? I have done all the other mods to mine but it still sounds crap!

Is it as easy as changing all the components to say! a Marshal or orange overdrive stage!

I did think about changing the V2 stage to a DC coupled cathode follower would this help? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Or just plain barking??
        Regards
        Lostfollicles

Comment

I have no idea what adding a CF stage would do to improve your tone in any way. I doubt it would make a Triumph sound unlike a Triumph. And then the question of where to put it.

I leave revoicing amps to the modsters.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

OK Thank you Enzo!

I will stick to my Crate Vintage Club 30 and just scrap the Peavey as no one wants a crap sounding amp!

Parts for valve amps are hard to find in Spain anyway!

Regards

Lostfollicles

Comment

Well, I wouldn't scrap it entirely! You've got a functional PT and OT and reverb pan, you could rip the rest of the circuits out and make a nice single channel amp. I was looking at some of the projects on the ax84 site, for example.

Comment

And not everyone agrees that it sounds crappy. And of course when one guy plays humbuckers through an amp and another guy plays single coils, they will have different experiences with the amp.

Comment

Thank you Nashvillebill

Of course you are quite wright! Perhaps I should persevere with it a little more, I'm not sure if I would go as far as ripping everything out and building a single channel amp out it though as the clean channel sounds good, but the rest of the amp must be able to be tweeked to my liking eventually!!!!! I live in hope that someone somewhere has done it and will eventually pass on the info!

Thank you Enzo

Of course you are also wright because it does sound completely different with humbuckers and single coil pups! It's just that awful distortion still doesn't sound nice to my ears with either type! Most amps have a distortion that gently fades where as this thing just sounds clippy!! If I can once sort that out I am sure I will use her again!

I did find that V3 & V4 were very hot "too hot to touch" compared to V1-V2-V3 so I checked the heater voltages AC & DC respectively! V3 & V4 showed 6.14 Volts AC and V1-V2-V3 showed 6.73 Volts DC
                  Are these voltages and temperature differences normal?

Thanks again to you all for your help and sugestions!

Regards

Lostfollicles
                  Last edited by Lostfollicles; 07-27-2010, 02:01 PM.

Comment

problem solved, im not entirely sure what the problem was but i resoldered one of the pins on a ribbon cable to the output tube board, and resoldered some of the solder pins as they looked a bit dirty. turned it on and and everything lit up! magic!
                    thanks for everyones help!

Comment

Working...
                    X