A Marshall Type Amp I Saw!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Marshall Type Amp I Saw!

Hello everyone, My name is Joe and I am new here at the forum and would like to ask you a question about an amp I seen quite long ago and it goes like this:

Okay me and my brother go to Sam Ash we go in and I am looking to test out the (New at this time) Evh Red Charvel striped guitar. So I tell the guy at the desk to reach up high and give me the guitar to try out abit and I might come back and buy it some time, So he did. I first began to try it out I think on this small Fender that sucked but then I switched to this stack and MY MIND WAS BLOWN on how amazing this thing sounded I was in shock it was like some kind of sound I would only hear in a dream! really long after that I stop playing and left and FORGET TO SEE WHAT AMP I WAS PLAYING THROUGH! so I will just describe this amp to you guys and maybe yous could kind of guess what it could be o.O

Description: It looked like a marshall-ish type amp (Could be one) and It had this logo either on the head or the cab, The logo looked like somekind of big letters put together with some sort of wings on them.

Here is an example of what the letters could be:
    -=WF=- -=WV=- -=VF=- -=WW=-
    So anyway I hope you guys could help me find out what amp this is because I really liked it.

- Thanks -

I'm drawing a blank. I know when those guitars came out. Just to make sure YOU do... How long ago was this? Are you sure the amp head and cabinet were the same maker? Do you know that this was the company logo and not a model name with the "wings"? Because I've got nothing and I was shopping amps about that time.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

VVT? Sorta looks like it would fit but I'm not sure these are that old (an old model possibly?).

VVT Earthquake 2.2 Guitar Amplifier Head > Amps & Preamps | Gbase.com

Comment

How about Ashdown? They have wings:

Ashdown Engineering | Guitar Amplification

Comment

The time frame this guy is talking about should take us back to about 1982!!! So I don't think either of these brands were in music stores at that time. Also, this is a twenty eight year old memory, so... That's why I asked the Q's I did.

Chuck

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

right. So could be totally off or some confusion in the memory. Hard to say without more info, clues, etc.

Comment

Sorry guys but its not both of those amps and I didint see this amp like 20 something years ago I saw it in 2006 in Sam Ash, Also heres some more details:

now that I remember the amp had a old Marshall head and some kind of winged logo for the cab!

Also the font on the cabinet looked like the band Weezers logo.

Comment

The "old Marshall head" is the most important part of the tone. How old??? Old as in used, or old as in old? If you aren't familiar with Marshall amps we'll never know. Some other clues/Q's:

Did you use any pedals with this rig? Or did the amp have a distortion, drive or lead channel?

Were you playing the amp cranked or did it have a master volume?

Do you remember how many inputs it had, as in four in a square type configuration, two over/under?

Was the power indicator small (and if you can remember, square or round?) or was it a big illuminated switch?

Did the amp seem to have a lot of knobs (perhaps even over/under in two rows) or did it have very few knobs, do you remember about how many knobs?

Or anything else you might remember.

Chuck

Comment

how amazing this thing sounded
                  What does that *exactly* mean?
                  You get 2000 Musicians together, you get 2000 different definitions.
                  It's even more important than any guessing about logos, wings, or whatever.
                  To begin with, I'd pull the speaker out of the question, simply because it was most certainly a 4x12", and probably Celestion loaded.
                  Besides, what would a Sam Ash salesman give to an EVH clone type of guy (just look at the guitar you tested and your nick here, you *ooze* EVH through your pores) to test, and specially using *that* guitar?
                  "Old Marshall" under those circunstances can basically be reduced to two contenders:
                  1) A Plexi/MKII. *Excellent* sound but needs some pedal to boost it into high gain mode and the sheer volume would have brough down the Shop in no time, the Cops would have shown in 5 minutes, and besides there's no way that they would have let you
                  really long after that I stop playing and left
                  ; so the most probable contender, capable to give that sound all by itself, no pedals needed, an at a reasonable volume would have been:
                  2) A JCM800.
                  I don't think it was a Peavey 5150 because you seem to know it very well, for obvious reasons.
                  By the way, did you buy that guitar ?
                  Last edited by J M Fahey; 08-03-2010, 02:18 AM. Reason: Slow braincells
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

It was probably a VHT, made by Steven Fryette. Now he makes them under his own name, Fryette amps.

Comment

Look at this listing of amplifiers and see if any of these amps rings a bell.

Sonic Circus Guitar Amplifier Sale of the Century

Comment

Working...
                      X