22 gauge in heater wiring..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 gauge in heater wiring..?

I received a shipment with, amongst other things, wire. I ordered 18 gages push-back wire to use in heaters. Tiered as I was I checked it hasty and started to solder. Now when I had a look, not blurred by sleepy eyes, I see that it is 22 gages.

Do I need to rewire it or is it safe to use the wired shipped to me..? (I'll mail the company to, asking.)
    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
    I received a shipment with, amongst other things, wire. I ordered 18 gages push-back wire to use in heaters. Tiered as I was I checked it hasty and started to solder. Now when I had a look, not blurred by sleepy eyes, I see that it is 22 gages.

Do I need to rewire it or is it safe to use the wired shipped to me..? (I'll mail the company to, asking.)
    It depends on what tube types you're running but in a typical Marshall 22 gauge is fine for heater wiring. It's rated to carry 5-7 amps and you're using it in very short lengths. Only the wires direct off the transformer are carrying the full heater current and the current that each pair of the string has to carry drops progressively as it passes each tube socket.
    Jon Wilder
    Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
    I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
    Originally posted by JoeM
    I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Comment

From our friends over at AX84

18 16 amps
      20 11 amps
      22 7 amps
      24 3.5 amps
      26 2.2 amps

Comment

No problem with current but there is an appreciable voltage drop. At a glance it's easy to ignore thinking 'well there's only a few short runs between the sockets' but when you consider that they are twisted and routed it can end up being a couple or even a few feet of wire. I just did an amp with 22ga but I used a Hammond PT with the 115V primary. So the small voltage drop was insignificant and perhaps even helpful. But if your heaters were already low, for example, it could be a problem. Just mentioning it.

Chuck
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Just an update...

Using an on line calculator the voltage drop for three feet of 22ga (one lead of the twisted pair) used for a pair of 6L6's and three 12ax7's is .299 volts.

Four feet of 22ga for 4xEL34 and three 12ax7's (which is pushing max for current capacity for 22ga) would be a drop of .93 volts.

And all points in between. So IF you already had a low heater voltage, like 6.1 volts, a half a volt starts to matter as that would exceed the 10% tolerance.

Chuck
          Last edited by Chuck H; 08-14-2010, 08:48 AM.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Chuck - Thank you for the info. When the time comes I'll measure the voltage drop. If there's no problem I'll do it to ease my curiosity.

The retailer said that it shouldn't be a problem...
            In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

If you find the voltage drop is too much, you don't need to replace all the wire. In many amps the transformer leads go to the pilot light, then to first power tube, next the second power tube, then on to the preamp tubes. You would only need to replace the wire between the pilot light and the two power tubes. The preamp tubes don't draw much current so #22 is fine there.
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

+++
                I failed to mention that.

Comment

Working...
                X