Ampeg V-4R repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg V-4R repair

At a show last night, a friend told me that he wanted to refer someone to me who needed work done on an Ampeg V-4R, which, I gather is the 1990s reissue of the original V-4, though not an exact replica.

He also told me that none of the other amp techs around here would agree to work on it. I've looked at schematics for the original V-4, and I can tell that the high plate voltages would make choices of output tubes very critical. But is there some issue with the V-4R that makes it a nightmare to service? I want to ask before finding out the hard way....

I don't see V4R. I see the V4BH in the recent lineup. And that has 460v B+. So I can't help there. But tube amps are tube amps. I see no reason to turn one away. There are some techs who get attitudes, "I won;t work on ANY of those SLM Ampegs, they are all CRAP." But who needs them?

Why not check it out. What if those other techs are turning down the repair without even knowing what it might need? Man, how many times has something come into my shop, and I put off working on it because I just KNOW it is going to be a pain, only to find it dead because the fuse holder solder had cracked or some other simple thing?

You always reserve the right to decline the work if it appears unreasonble to accept it.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

After getting an Italian Vox Super Continental Organ completely functional (=nightmare), I probably shouldn't be afraid of any tube amp.

All I could find about the V-4R was this from Wikipedia:

"The V-4 was reissued for a period in the 90's-00's by Ampeg under its SLM ownership as the V-4R. Conceptually similar to the original (100W, 12ax7 preamp section and four 6L6's in the power amp section) it is nonetheless both electronically and cosmetically distinct from its ancestor."

Comment

Working...
      X