Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement Tubes for Marshall JCM2000-TSL100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Tubes for Marshall JCM2000-TSL100?

I've got a Marshall JCM2000-TSL100 in a 1960 classic cabinet and I'd like to retube it to get a louder and harder sound; does anyone have any suggestions for replacement tubes (excluding Groove Tubes)?

I'm having the same dilemma but would like a bluesy sound!!! Good luck!!

Comment

Email Bob at EuroTubes and tell him what your wanting to do and he will have a solution for you. www.eurotubes.com

Comment

Perhaps my reply won't be that useful but it is the basic circuit "topology" and then perhaps the transformers, IMHO, that defines what a particular amplifer sounds like and unless the circuit or a tube or two is defective simply changing tubes won't make a "day or night" type difference. Yeah, some tube may give you a little more headroom or start to clip/compress sooner, or sound "warmer and fuzzier" but simply altering the bias point on an output tube by, oh, 20-30% will usually have more effect than replacing that same tube with another at the same bias point (remember we're not including worn out or defective tubes). So the idea that someone will "have a solution for you" simply by different tube choice is a bit simplistic if somewhat accurate.

Speakers have far, far more effect on tone - especially "bluesy" or "louder and harder" and one can buy or build extension cabinets that allow changing the sonic signature with even less "work" (but a bit more money usually <grin>) than changing a tube or three.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by scifin View Post
          I've got a Marshall JCM2000-TSL100 in a 1960 classic cabinet and I'd like to retube it to get a louder and harder sound; does anyone have any suggestions for replacement tubes (excluding Groove Tubes)?
          the 'louder and harder' requirement makes me think of 6550s right away. I'm a bit fan of 6550s in Marshalls, just gives you a tighter/deeper bass and a punchier overall tone.

if you want something between EL34s and 6550s you could try some 6CA7s - I'm using these in my '76 Superbass and they sound very nice indeed.

HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

Working...
          X