Roland XP-10 Multitimbral Synthesizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland XP-10 Multitimbral Synthesizer

Hi!! I need Schematic of Roland Xp-10 Multitimbral Synthesizer. Anyone please Help me.

Problem: when i turn on my Synthesizer it displays a line on the LCD panel and nothing Works.

Kindly Help me out...

Originally posted by ankur View Post
    Hi!! I need Schematic of Roland Xp-10 Multitimbral Synthesizer. Anyone please Help me.

Problem: when i turn on my Synthesizer it displays a line on the LCD panel and nothing Works.

Kindly Help me out...

Hi ankur,

Digital device repair is not a job for the faint hearted.

If you have some experience on this activity and corresponding instruments (millivoltmeter and scope at least 60MHz), I can recommend to you some first steps:

1.Turn XP-10 on and check power supply output voltages +5V and +9V (see power
    supply schematic).
    2.If them are okay, check 20MHz clock at IC11:98, 99 and logic “1” (4-5VDC)
    at IC11:1(“Reset”).
    3.Check 24MHz clock presence at IC5:105.
    4.If all previous results are okay, turn XP-10 off and check existence of 2.7V-3V
    voltage at IC14:28, 20 and IC15:28, 20.
    5.If this time results are okay as well, turn XP-10 on and check whether control, data
    and address signals at RAMs (see RAM schematic) have normal view.
    6.If all seems okay, try to replace RAM chips in turn.

If all this did not help, the device must be transferred to more professional technician for repair.

If results one of these steps are not okay, let me know.

Good luck,
    Attached Files

Comment

Does the unit have a memory battery inside? If so, check it for charge. And anything with a memory battery can come up needing reinitialization. Doctor has at least part of the schematic, so do you have the reinitialization or "restore factory settings" procedure? For most units the procedure is simply to hold two or three buttons down as you power up. A scrambled memory can shut a system down.

Are any of the larger ICs on sockets? If so partially pull them up in their sockets and press them back down. In fact, just rapping on top of each one with a knuckle is usually enough. This reseats the IC in the socket to refresh socket contact with the IC pins.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

True Heartedly Thanx to Doctor & Enzo!! This called a helping Hand. Thanx a looot again. I will follow your Instructions.

Yes Enzo it have a Battery. and i tried to find out the Service Manual of Roland XP-10 i Googled a lot but the result is 'NIL'.

I will disassemble it now, and look for the possible problems as Suggested by Doc. I will let you knw what i did and what is the result. 'So that many XP-10 Users can be facilate of this Helps'
        Thank you Both Once again!!

Comment

True Heartedly Thanx to Doctor & Enzo!! This called a helping Hand. Thanx a looot again. I will follow your Instructions.

Yes Enzo it have a Battery. and i tried to find out the Service Manual of Roland XP-10 i Googled a lot but the result is 'NIL'.

I will disassemble it now, and look for the possible problems as Suggested by Doc. I will let you knw what i did and what is the result. 'So that many XP-10 Users can be facilate of this Helps'
          Thank you Both Once again!!

1. Clause 4 in the tests list represents the backup voltage checking at the RAM chips
          and periphery. Low voltage (< 2.7V) or absence of this voltage at all may be caused
          by bad buttery, but not only that.
          2. The XP-10 synthesizer was manufactured in 1995 and it has SMD chips (not DIP) without sockets.
          3. Unfortunately the XP-10 synthesizer has not so called "hardware reset" or
          "reinitialization procedure".
          It has factory preset loading procedure, which may be performed only on intact device.

Comment

I have the service manual with schematics.
            If you would like a copy, please send me a PM with your email address since it is too large to post here.

Steve

Comment

I finished doing all the steps and rectification as suggested by you all.. But still no improvement. At last we came to an Conclusion that the Program ROM(Roland RO1231689/LH534Y24) or the program itself on the ROM is corrupted. We doubt mostly on the program cause the volts & scopic Units seem to be allright (Speciall Thanx to 'Doctor').

Now i Googled about the ROM on the NET nothing Found(sad part). But we think its an ATMEL ROM(as seen from outside) with different No. & also we need the program & theres a specific Setting for the Pitch Bender which we have to configure(no idea about that also). Now its seems merely impossible to me. Cause there is no way to get that program file. we have ROM programer by which we can load the program on the EEPROM. but we are worried about the Software. If you guys can give some IDEA about this.

"I must say, Many Thanx for your very Kind co-operation."
              Last edited by ankur; 09-02-2010, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot! Steve.

Comment

Thanks a lot! Steve.
                  There are several types of program and wave ROM chips: MASK ROM, one time programmed OTP EPROM, ultraviolet erasable UV EPROM and FLASH ROM.
                  In accordance with my experience on few thousand digital device repairs about 20-30 UV EPROMs were out of order and only two MASK or OTP EPROMs. The FLASH ROM is a separate and very problematic story.
                  On the contrary, about 100-150 RAM chips (SRAM, PSRAM and DRAM types) were out of order and for this reason I recommend to replace RAM (try at least!).

I forgot two additional steps in my recommended list.
                  Before RAM replacing:

5a) Check integrity of 16-bit data and 23-bit address buses between CPU (IC11) and RAMs, ROM (IC16) and DSP (IC5) by means of ohmmeter. Having schematic it’s very simple.

5b) Resolder RAM and ROM pins with large amount of liquid flux.
                  It makes sense to resolder CPU and DSP chips as well, but if you have not related experience with 150-pin chips, do not do that.

If you want to replace ROM anyway, you can order it from Roland in accordance with his Roland’s p/n. If this chip is obsolete, the only way is to desolder this chip from another intact XP-10, read the program by means of programmer and to program new blank OTP EPROM chip.

Comment

Originally posted by doctor View Post
                    There are several types of program and wave ROM chips: MASK ROM, one time programmed OTP EPROM, ultraviolet erasable UV EPROM and FLASH ROM.
                    In accordance with my experience on few thousand digital device repairs about 20-30 UV EPROMs were out of order and only two MASK or OTP EPROMs. The FLASH ROM is a separate and very problematic story.
                    On the contrary, about 100-150 RAM chips (SRAM, PSRAM and DRAM types) were out of order and for this reason I recommend to replace RAM (try at least!).

I forgot two additional steps in my recommended list.
                    Before RAM replacing:

5a) Check integrity of 16-bit data and 23-bit address buses between CPU (IC11) and RAMs, ROM (IC16) and DSP (IC5) by means of ohmmeter. Having schematic it’s very simple.

5b) Resolder RAM and ROM pins with large amount of liquid flux.
                    It makes sense to resolder CPU and DSP chips as well, but if you have not related experience with 150-pin chips, do not do that.

If you want to replace ROM anyway, you can order it from Roland in accordance with his Roland’s p/n. If this chip is obsolete, the only way is to desolder this chip from another intact XP-10, read the program by means of programmer and to program new blank OTP EPROM chip.
                    Everything is working just Fine!
                    I'm Sure now to find a Firmware(RO1231689/LH534Y24) of Roland as its now called a Vintage Synth nothing is available on the NET. Sadly sites of Roland don't have any listed Support for XP-10. and Even if i found the firmware program of the synth, as we don't know the exact Eprom No. we can't program it. Its very rare to find a working XP10 here. It seems to search a Pin in the Hay.
                    i searched the net for a firmware and specific settings of Bender. Nothing Found.
                    Now i'm in Total Dark.
                    Anyway thanx a lot to all of you guys who tried to help. and specially the post of 'Doctor' I think the Googlers can get much informations from this posts as well as our forum friends.

Hats off to you guys.
                    Last edited by ankur; 09-02-2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Everything is working just Fine!
                      I'm Sure now to find a Firmware(RO1231689/LH534Y24) of Roland as its now called a Vintage Synth nothing is available on the NET. Sadly sites of Roland don't have any listed Support for XP-10. and Even if i found the firmware program of the synth, as we don't know the exact Eprom No. we can't program it. Its very rare to find a working XP10 here. It seems to search a Pin in the Hay.
                      i searched the net for a firmware and specific settings of Bender. Nothing Found.
                      Now i'm in Total Dark.
                      Anyway thanx a lot to all of you guys who tried to help. and specially the post of 'Doctor' I think the Googlers can get much informations from this posts as well as our forum friends.
                      Hats off to you guys.

Hi ankur,

First of all, never say die.

The fact that you have not yet managed to repair the XP-10 suggests that you lack knowledge. So what? This is remedied.

As far as I understand from you last message, your XP-10 has mask ROM LH534Y24. Mask ROM possible to manufacture only at factory.
                      But it is possible to use any OTP PROM or UV EPROM of 256Kx16Bit structure having
                      100nS access time and Vcc = 5V (and suitable package). In order to program it you need firmware, which is absolutely impossible to receive from any manufacturer.
                      As I wrote before, the only way – to rewrite it from working memory chip.
                      If you have a programmer, it is no problem.

But I declare once more: the probability that the ROM is out of order is negligible. You should look elsewhere.
                      After you will receive the schematic be patient and check all control signals both at sources and at destination pins. Remember, that data bus and some other signals are bidirectional.

Always is a last chance.
                      Transfer the XP-10 to more educated and experienced technician and ask him to explain how he repaired the XP-10 and what a problem was.

Good luck anyway.

Comment

He mentioned in passing that
                        Its very rare to find a working XP10 here.
                        It might be useful to know where "here" is.
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

XP-10 service notes

Service notes are available from the Roland spares dept.

If you email me spares@roland.co.uk with an email address I'll email a pdf copy to you.

Very best regards
                          steve

Comment

Originally posted by SPARESROLAND View Post
                            Service notes are available from the Roland spares dept.

If you email me spares@roland.co.uk with an email address I'll email a pdf copy to you.

Very best regards
                            steve
                            Wooooow!! that will be so great.... Thank You very much "Steve".. i will mail on that email address..

Comment

I just did a search for XP-10 parts and this thread came up.

A while ago I found an XP-10 at Goodwill that was broken, but the keys had been replaced with a metal chassis and marble accordion(?) buttons. There's a sticker on the back that says GRBIC Audio Centar, I guess that's where it was modded. It looks pretty cool and I really want to get it running.

I took it into a local synth shop for a quick lookover, and the technician said it was missing the eprom chip. Anyone know where I could get ahold of one of these? I have practically 0 knowledge of electronics, but a friend of mine builds synths and has offered to help me out if I can get the parts. It was also suggested to me to write a letter to Roland Japan.

Here's the synth

not even sure if I took the right photo of where the eprom should be >>
                              Last edited by scd; 11-27-2010, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X