Merlin Blencowes book: Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merlin Blencowes book: Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass

I first became aware of this book here at this forum a year ago and recently I was reminded of it as I was working on my on DIY AX84 guitar amp project. After visiting the Valve Wizard website, I and a interested friend each ordered copies of the book from Lulu.

I just wanted to drop a quick post of public thanks to Merlin for creating such a wonderful book.

I am only twenty pages in and it has already proven to be written in a remarkably clear and focused manner.

I recall many conversations, lessons, articles and books about tube technology that left me thinking... ok I get that... but I don't get this... or how that applies to this or that... if you know what I mean? I spent a lot of time thinking about the incomplete nature of my knowledge.

Merlin's writing style seems to anticipate where you need to be and the technical explanations are pertinent so it is easy to stay focused while trying to make sense of it all.

It is as if all my old tube design books expected an expert lecturer or mentor to be available at all times. Merlin has found a way to combine specifications with applications and it is really helpful. I feel as if I can relax and learn rather than become preoccupied with questions.

Thanks Merlin!!!

I hope some of the other experts here may be inspired to produce similar works.

all the best,
    mike

yeah Merlin is great, you could PM him in person too:
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/users/611/

he's also a regular (and a godsend for newbs like me) at ax84

Comment

Merlin's book is excellent, I highly recommend it.

Now here is an all time classic you can download for free and add to your collection.:

RDH4 mirror
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm glad you like it! (I work continually on improving it for future editions)

I will be bringing out a second book very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlinb View Post

Hi Merlin

Is it:

1) a 2nd edition; or

2) a book on designing output stages; or

3) a book on designing FX circuits (like reverb and tremolo/or even vibrato)?
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
            Hi Merlin
            Is it:
            1) a 2nd edition; or
            2) a book on designing output stages; or
            3) a book on designing FX circuits (like reverb and tremolo/or even vibrato)?
            None of the above. You'll see!

Comment

Will it involve alcohol, nudity, or weapons?
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                Will it involve alcohol, nudity, or weapons?
                Rumour has that it will be (at least in part) about power supply design.... *yawn*. I'll buy it anyway, of course... but let's be honest Merlin, everyone really wants a valve wizard book on power sections, and another on effects!! Give the people what they want!!

Comment

silly wombat, effects are for pedals

Comment

It's IMO the most interesting book about tube amps, I've ever had in my hands.
                    My congrats, Merlin!

I'm very much looking forward to it!

Larry
                    The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp

Comment

merlin's new book

Eagerly chomping at the bit for the new book!
                      Based on the quality of the first one, I would place an order on the second book even before I knew what it was about!!
                      Keep 'em coming, Merlin! Great work!
                      ...Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Wombaticus View Post
                        Rumour has that it will be (at least in part) about power supply design.... *yawn*. I'll buy it anyway, of course... but let's be honest Merlin, everyone really wants a valve wizard book on power sections, and another on effects!! Give the people what they want!!
                        There's enough info out on the web about effects already. Pwr supply design is nothing to be glossed over as unimportant. Since an output section is nothing more than a pwr supply modulated by an audio signal, it can....and will affect the end result you hear.
                        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
                          There's enough info out on the web about effects already. Pwr supply design is nothing to be glossed over as unimportant. Since an output section is nothing more than a pwr supply modulated by an audio signal, it can....and will affect the end result you hear.
                          Well sure it will. And I'll order a copy within a half-hour of its availability. It's just not very *exciting*. Moreover, there is also (perhaps) evidence that over-thinking the power supply and making it more "theoretically ideal" can be detrimental to tone. I take the following with a grain of salt, but found the anecdote interesting nonetheless: AC Ripple in a Class AB Power Amp

Comment

...looks like Richard re-arranged his Pentode Press website, so here's the new title and location: The Strange Effects of AC Ripple on a Class AB Power Amp
                            ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

Yup its about Power supplies

How to design valve guitar amplifiers
                              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
                              X