No announcement yet.

Humbucker Bobbin Screw and Slug Alloy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep. some fastener manufacturers will provide a certification.
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
      Actually I know for a fact that some do check...

TV Jones's screw maker checks every batch of steel for the pole screws on the filtertron. Tom pays a premium for the service, but it ensures the same alloy every time. Most *good* metal working places have a little handheld device that does a quick vapor test of the alloy and reports back its make up.

I know I did it when I ordered a custom batch of screws for my bass pup
      That's great!
      Now what alloy do you recommend for a humbucker???
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        I still haven't heard any of the experts divulge their recommendations, of what alloy slugs, and screws, to use for a normal humbucker.
        I guess its all top Secret!
        Terry
        A good alloy combination is usually found though a lot of hard work - And can also make for a somewhat signature sound in a pickup. Giving it up easily seems counter productive. I usually tell people my opinion on what alloys sound good "to me". For example, I didnt like 1010, but love 1018. 12L14 is another great alloy.

Comment

That's great!
          Now what alloy do you recommend for a humbucker???
          T
          what part of a humbucker?

Comment

And you probably won't because folks have spent a lot of time, effort, and funds to find this out. They're not going to give the results of thier research away that easily. My recommendation is try what's already out there, which is mostly 1018 and 1022, and also get some stuff made. This is all a part of discovering what you like in your formulas. Do some searches on the forum. There is a lot that has already been said on the subject.

I still haven't heard any of the experts divulge their recommendations, of what alloy slugs, and screws, to use for a normal humbucker.
            I guess its all top Secret!
            Terry

Comment

A magnet seller lists Humbucker adjustment Screws and Slugs in 1018 &1022 alloy.
              He lists these alloys for both Plated and non plated parts.
              Which alloy would have the best magnetic properties?
              I presume it would be 1018. 1018 has less carbon than the 1022?
              Is this correct?
              Thanks in advance.
              Terry
              This is the original post, made by me.
              You can get screws and slugs in 1010,1018, & 1022.
              This is just a hobby for me, I'm no threat to any business, and just wanted an Idea if it was better to stay on the low end 1010, or the high end 1022.

Terry
              Last edited by big_teee; 09-24-2010, 10:16 PM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

This is the original post, made by me.
                You can get screws and slugs in 1010,1018, & 1022.
                This is just a hobby for me, I'm no threat to any business, and just wanted an Idea if it was better to stay on the low end 1010, or the high end 1022.

Terry
                And now you've come full-circle on this forum...welcome home.

So if you go down to the local O'Rileys you can get a Fram filter, it's the same filter at Car Quest, PEP Boys etc _but_ if the usual suspects on this forum were selling filters they wouldn't tell you what it was, just hint about an off-red package.

Alternatively, as a side note I've been sending out email questionairs to my (paying) customers for four years now, I ask if they considered or tried other pickup makers (besides the top 5) funny thing is NONE have ever mentioned any of the other winders here on this forum (except Lollar).

So in my mind this whole keep the secrets and cut down on competition thing is BS as far as I'm concerned, but yet in a forum of peers many will still keep silent about specifics hoping you will fail and they will not.
                (as if your customer is their customer)

Ach well, to each his own.

BTW, buy some 1018 and 1022 and give them your listening test, you'll decide which you like for what.
                Last edited by RedHouse; 09-25-2010, 03:17 AM.
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Thank you Brad!
                  That's all I wanted was a little shove in the right direction!
                  Later,
                  Terry
                  Terry

Comment

I really like the 1019.5...

Comment

Rick, we should get into the the custom designer alloy screws & slugs business. I shouldn't reveal my secrets, but I use the "scatter slug" technique.

Comment

Alloys mixed by hand, one lost and carbonized finger at a time...

You only get to wind ten batches of pickups, and then you have to get apprentices. Worker's Comp bills are a bitch, though...

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Turner View Post
                          I really like the 1019.5...
                          what about 1019.31416? that one will deliver a much rounder high end.
                          Hari Ossa
                          http://www.hariossa.com

Comment

lets give up all this shenanigan's & start using 3 1/2" common nails for pole pieces & save the zinc nails for our deluxe models
                            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                              Alternatively, as a side note I've been sending out email questionairs to my (paying) customers for four years now, I ask if they considered or tried other pickup makers (besides the top 5) funny thing is NONE have ever mentioned any of the other winders here on this forum (except Lollar).
                              It just goes to show that there is a lot more marketing work to do for winders here.

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                              So in my mind this whole keep the secrets and cut down on competition thing is BS as far as I'm concerned, but yet in a forum of peers many will still keep silent about specifics hoping you will fail and they will not.
                              (as if your customer is their customer).
                              For me, it's not about competition, I welcome it. Only the strong willl survive anyway in a pickup business. The market will weed out the non-serious folks. Folks that are serious will do what they have to do to succeed. If they fail, it isn't becauase someone on the forum wouldn't provide certain info. There is tons of info archived on this forum if folks did some searching. Folks are too lazy to even search for the info that they're looking for. It's unacceptable to me. If they can't find the info after searching, then pose the question.

It's about paying your dues. I think most folks here would agree that why should anyone hand out all of their knowledge that they have gleened over years of trial and error, money, and effort to someone who has just popped up on the forum. I would not expect Jason, Wolfe or Gundry or anyone else to hand over all thier knowledge to me..... Brad if I visited your shop, would you show me how to build an amp and tell me all that you know about building amps? I think that you would be reluctant to do it.

My pholosophy is to provide guidance and direct folks to information and then let them do it for themselves...and not do it for them. You're actually doing folks a disservice by doing the work for them. They miss out on a lot of knowledge during the process of making pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
                                ...why should anyone hand out all of their knowledge that they have gleened over years of trial and error, money, and effort to someone who has just popped up on the forum...
                                Well, if you come here and make posts you should post relevant info, or not post if you want to keep your info to yourself.

My opinion above clearly reflected people who come here and say "I know ...but I'm not going to tell you... pay your dues...yadda yadda" that's rediculous and there are a few who do that regularly here.

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
                                ... Brad if I visited your shop, would you show me how to build an amp and tell me all that you know about building amps? I think that you would be reluctant to do it...
                                Sure I would, but you better bring a sleeping bag and tooth brush, it's going to be a long build if you want to learn.

See that's the difference in attitude, I make other things besides pickups, most other things are reverse-engineer'able and so I have learned to just do my best and move forward. I've followed the efforts of many who try to keep things a secret, like for instance in the effects biz people often try potting circuit boards in black epoxy to prevent people from learning their secrets, well in no time at all someone buys one, dremels the epoxy off and posts the "tricks" on the internet. Whoop-t-freekin-dooo. The more one tries to hide what one does, the more people focus on discovering your secret (and then find it wasn't a big deal anyway).

But I digress, all I meant to say was that if people post about a subject it should be relevant, not a quip neener-neener, I know and ain't tellin kind of BS. If we want to keep our hard earned info to ourselves, we should, and not post about it don't ya think?
                                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Working...
                                X