Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blank eyelet board material

Hi,

can somebody help me please. There is a company that sells blank material for eyelet boards, eyelets and eyelet tools. It is some kind of higher quality material that is resistant to moisture and it is available in different colors. Unfortunately I lost the link and I had no luck googling it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Never mind ... I found it. Thanks ...

Comment

Hey Bluefinger.... I'm glad you found it. Just wondering what you ended up going with? I just had to buy materials to make my own boards the other day and I thought I would share.

After looking around at which material to use, I choose Garolite G10-FR4 as it seems to be the best in preventing "tweed disease". I ended up buying it from McMaster-Carr because they have the best price I have seen yet. I bought two 1/8" (D) x 3" (W) x 48" (L) boards at $15 each here. Two boards for $30 plus tax ($2.17) and shipping ($5) for a total of about $37. I received it within 48 hours as well. You can't beat that price considering many sites are selling pre-cut boards for around $15 or ($0.60/inch), and this is enough material to do several amps with left overs.

As for the turrets, I often see people buying Keystone through Mouser but at 45 cents a turret, I cannot bring myself to it. Watts Tube Audio carries double turrets for about 22 cents each, and eyelets for as cheap as 6 cents per.

TubeDepot has really nice instructions here on how to make your own turret setter or anvil & swage kit from simple nuts and bolts.

Happy building,
      Wittgenstein
      My Builds:
      5E3 Deluxe Build
      5F1 Champ Build
      6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

I saw this thread and thought this link my be helpful. I get the board material at mcMaster-Carr too, I get my turrets at Hoffman amps.

Basic Turret Board Construction pictures by Casey4s - Photobucket
        DIY Links

Tolex Tutorial
        http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...lifier-cabinet

Chassis:
        http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...lifier-chassis

Turret board:
        http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...d-construction

Comment

Originally posted by Casey4s View Post
          I saw this thread and thought this link my be helpful. I get the board material at mcMaster-Carr too, I get my turrets at Hoffman amps.
          Basic Turret Board Construction pictures by Casey4s - Photobucket
          Nice... it's only 15 cents a turret from Hoffman Amps.
          My Builds:
          5E3 Deluxe Build
          5F1 Champ Build
          6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

Originally posted by Wittgenstein View Post

eyelets for as cheap as 6 cents per.
            I found them for half that at a local Tandy store. They have the setter tools too.

Comment

Originally posted by RWood View Post
              I found them for half that at a local Tandy store. They have the setter tools too.
              Do you have a link? I'm not sure what Tandy is (the company that used to own RadioShack?)? How much is the turret tool? IMO I'd rather make my own and save a few bucks.
              My Builds:
              5E3 Deluxe Build
              5F1 Champ Build
              6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

Yes, Tandy owns or owned Radio Shack

Here's a link to the 3/16" eyelet which also shows the setter tool and anvil. They also sell a 1/4" eyelet, and have different finishes besides this one.

There's a store locator link up top, so you can see if there's one near you.

RWood

Comment

Try Tandy leather
                  Tandy Leather Factory - Leathercraft and Leather Craft Supplies

For eyelets:
                  Tandy Leather Factory - Site Search Results

Comment

Hi,

I haven't ordered yet, but I'l be ordering at Watts Tube Audio as well. I prefer eyelets over turrets ... it's just what I'm used to so that's what I'll be going with.

all the best

Comment

eyelet board material

Take a look at tubesandmore.com
                      They have board material in several colors, as well as turrets, etc.
                      ...Jon

Comment

Originally posted by roughcut studios View Post
                        Take a look at tubesandmore.com
                        They have board material in several colors, as well as turrets, etc.
                        ...Jon
                        That must be a new item. It's not in my 2010 print catalog, I'll have to visit the site.

Antique Electronic Supply
                        DIY Links

Tolex Tutorial
                        http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...lifier-cabinet

Chassis:
                        http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...lifier-chassis

Turret board:
                        http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...d-construction

Comment

I have some Forbon which I use to build bobbins for pickups. Would this material be suitable for tag board construction?

Comment

Originally posted by RWood View Post
                            Yes, Tandy owns or owned Radio Shack

Here's a link to the 3/16" eyelet which also shows the setter tool and anvil. They also sell a 1/4" eyelet, and have different finishes besides this one.

There's a store locator link up top, so you can see if there's one near you.

RWood
                            An eyelet is not the same as a Turret. 3/16" eyelet is really BIG and uses up a lot of solder.
                            But for the life of me, I can not understand why anyone would need to build a turret board anyhow... I think it is a complete waste of money.
                            Bruce

Mission Amps
                            Denver, CO. 80022
                            www.missionamps.com
                            303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                              An eyelet is not the same as a Turret. 3/16" eyelet is really BIG and uses up a lot of solder.
                              But for the life of me, I can not understand why anyone would need to build a turret board anyhow... I think it is a complete waste of money.
                              Im confused by your comment, especially seeing as you run an amp building website. If one wants to build any amp that is not a 5e3, a 5f1, or a 18 watt marshall it becomes incredibly difficult to find a premade board. Not to mention I bought the 2 boards of garolite for 30$ and turrets are cheap (to clear up confusion Wittgenstein and I build amps together). So in the end i can make like 6 turret boards for the cost of buying 2 and i can make any amp I want instead of building the same amps everyone always builds. As for the waste of money im curious as to how one would save money, could you elaborate on the point you were trying to make?
                              I used to think tube amplifiers couldn't be rocket science, I've started to reconsider that assumption.

Comment

Working...
                              X