Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schematic for Guyatone GA-430?? (6BM8 reverb circuits?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schematic for Guyatone GA-430?? (6BM8 reverb circuits?)

Hi

I just bought this little amp with a non working reverb and tremelo. I haven't been able to find much info on it, does anyone have any clues? The controls on this amp are Vol, Tone, Reverb, Trem Intensity, Trem Speed. It has 2 inputs and an 8" speaker.

I suspect it is similar to a Gibson GA1RT1, as it has a reverb and tremelo and uses a similar tube compliment: 2 6BM8, 12AX7, and a small tube I can't read, possibly a 5Y3GT if it is close to the Gibson. The main difference is that it has two 6BM8 vs the Gibson's one. I suspect the additional tube is for the reverb circuit. Is there another Gibson that uses the 6BM8 as a reverb driver?

BTW, how does the GA1RT1 reverb work? It has the input going straight into the reverb tank?!?

Of course I may be on the wrong track altogether if the Gibson GA1RT1 is nothing like the Guyatone, but it seems a reasonable guess for a starting point. The other error I might be making is that the second 6BM8 is used for the Tremelo, either speed or depth.

Thanks,
    Chris

Found the answer courtesy of the guys at Tokyo Sound. Turns out I was completely on the wrong track. The amp is a push/pull output, using the pentodes of the two 6BM8s. One triode is the phase inverter, the other is the tremelo oscillator. The unknown tube is not a rectifier, but 6AV6 which is used for the reverb drive. It has a single diode as a half wave rectifier.

This amp was made in the 60's. The PT indicates 1966 and they Guyatone gentleman sent a picture from a catalog from that year.

Anyone who is curious can see the schematic at:

Now all I have to do is fix the trem and rvb. My first tube repair.

Chris

Comment

The link to the schematic didn't work. Here it is:

http://www.ampix.org/albums/userpics...30-trimmed.pdf

And maybe here if it works:

Comment

Working...
      X