Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18W Footswitchable Dual Channel Dual Cascade Head Build

Here's my new amp I just built:

The idea is a 2 channel amp with relays to select either channel A or B, channel A feeding channel B, or Chanel B feeding Channel A, all with only a 2 button footswitch. I used a Trinity amps 18W kit and added my relay board and an extra power transformer for the relay and LED channel indicators. The relays and LEDs draw about a quarter of an amp (~250mA) worst case scenario (the board has 4 static states depending on the footswitch selection) and I didn't want to strain the amps power transformer.

I also added some other little mods: Master drive, TMB volume boost, expander (doesn't seem to do much), and I have another switch for diode clipping I haven't hooked up yet.

A picture's worth 1000 words

NAS_18W0001 by LITEFORCE, on Flickr

NAS_18W0008 by LITEFORCE, on Flickr

NAS_18W0004 by LITEFORCE, on Flickr

NAS_18W0003 by LITEFORCE, on Flickr

NAS_18W0002 by LITEFORCE, on Flickr

NAS_18W0006 by LITEFORCE, on Flickr

NAS_18W0007 by LITEFORCE, on Flickr

NAS_18W0001_1 by LITEFORCE, on Flickr

Hey, I've even got a video for you YouTube - 18W Dual Channel Dual Cascade Footswitchable Guitar Amp Head Prototype Test

Comment

Wow, That is quite an ambitious build! Nice work. How does it sound?

Comment

How did you do the front panel? Looks nice!

Comment

Thanks guys, it was a bit ambitious but totally worth it. I'm REALLY happy with it. Kind of like the amp I always wanted but could never get. I know master volumes aren't 'cool' but I don't mind preamp distortion when I'm practicing. It can get really really over the top distortion with a lot of control over the tone and gain since there are 4 tone controls and 4 volumes when it's all cascaded. The clean sound is fantastic as well, I have the TV channel wired up like the Trinity amps sIII boost model and I really like it. I'm dying to try it through a nice 4x12 cab.

The front panel is done with a laser. The material is 2 layer ABS I think, black on the back, then gold. I drew my panel in a CAD program and then sent it to a laser engraver. Where the writing is, the laser cuts through the gold but not the black. For the control pots and switches the laser burns through both layers.

Comment

Whoa boy, got the custom head cab I ordered from Trinity. Check this badboy out!

Comment

Looks sweet!!! Here's one I did a few years ago. Happy playing...
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X