Fender Super 210 - Red knob Vibrolux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Super 210 - Red knob Vibrolux

I've found a Fender Super 210 Combo amp at a local used place at a decent price (about $300) ... It sounds pretty good to me in the shop, but it's one of the infamous "Red Knob" Fender Tube amps. Why are these amps so maligned?

Some folks just don't like the sound, some swear by it. Fer myself I don't like the power supply construction as the heat of some resistors melts themselves loose from the PCBV - and I've seen poor solder joints on some caps. Actually you could take the amp to a tech that's familiar with these beasts and have him rework the PS board to keep it from reaching the solder pads. There are several ways to do this but and experienced tech will have his/her favorite method.

Rob

Comment

I got one of them, the rackmount head version. I think it's pretty cool. Loud and clear etc, I've had no reliability issues - yet. This is why they are maligned, crappy construction techniques.

I'd buy it if you have the folding to spare right now, that's pretty cheap, you'll not be recording with it, but it could be a nice little road warrior. And when it fails, you can use the cabinet, chassis and tranny's to make a real good amp... that's my plan.

graham

Comment

Working...
      X