Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speaker placement?

Hi,

I am planning to have a custom cab built for my upcoming 5E3 project. The plan is to make it the same size as a regular 5E3 but to place the speaker in the middle of the cab instead of the standard offset to the left (just for aestetic reasons). My question is: Is it offset to the left just because of the weight distribution or would it touch a tranny or something. In this case I'd have to redesign that thing. I will most likely use either a Weber 12A125 or a Weber 12F150, depending on which one I like better. Maybe someone could do a quick check if there is room in there to move it over to the middle ...

thanks!!!

Aesthetics? Why?
    You're better off building it right from the beginning or you might end up with a speaker basket that runs into the output tranny.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Why? ... Because I am having a cab built that doesn't look like a regular tweed cabinet. The design I had in mind would require the speaker to sit in the center while more or less sticking with the original outer meassurements of a regular 5E3 cab. I would have done it if it can be done without the speaker touching anything. I do want to build it right so that's the reason why I'm asking. I think I will not risk anythink and go with the standard offset speaker position and an asymmetric design. Maybe this one will look more interesting anyway.

thanks ...

Comment

I agree with Bruce.

If your amp is pretty much vintage design with a correct chassis you will need to put the speaker off set if all the outside dimensions are pretty much vintage.
        DIY Links

Tolex Tutorial
        http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...lifier-cabinet

Chassis:
        http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...lifier-chassis

Turret board:
        http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/cont...d-construction

Comment

Originally posted by Bluefinger View Post
          Why? ... Because I am having a cab built that doesn't look like a regular tweed cabinet. The design I had in mind would require the speaker to sit in the center while more or less sticking with the original outer meassurements of a regular 5E3 cab. I would have done it if it can be done without the speaker touching anything. I do want to build it right so that's the reason why I'm asking. I think I will not risk anythink and go with the standard offset speaker position and an asymmetric design. Maybe this one will look more interesting anyway.

thanks ...
          OK. Keep in mind that there are some tube and speaker combinations right now that WILL NOT work with a stock cabinet dims and the speaker hole in the stock baffle board, that's why I say to be careful with where you place the speaker in the baffle using a stock dim cabinet.
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks Casey and Bruce!

I went with a design that has the speaker sitting in the original vintage position. For some added clearance I have it built about an inch deeper. That should do the trick ... hopefully ...

best regards
            BF

Comment

Working...
            X