Homemade Bucker Slugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Bucker Slugs

My first batch came back from the platers and they came out really nice, both visually and soundwise, better than anything I've ever bought. So I'm naturally I'm hooked -- but the problem is that it was a lot of work making them.

I cut them on a bandsaw, no problem there in terms of effort, but the ends are naturally in need of a lot of grinding/filing/sanding to get them straight and smooth, and to get the length consistently right. Doing it that way takes a lot out of my physically, particularly the hands which are not as young as they once were and the tendons are very unhappy with me right now.

Obviously something like miter saw with a clamp would be more accurate and give a straighter and smoother cut, requiring a lot less grinding and sanding.

So I'm taking recommendations not only for a good affordable miter saw or other machine, but also for some suggestions on process/technique to make it easier on the hands.

How many do you want to make? I'd find some one with a DSM turret lathe and have them do it for you. You are looking at about 15 seconds of work each on the right machine. I'd give you a bid but I'm way busy at the moment. You could buy an awful lot of slugs for the price of a cheap cutoff grinder set up.

Comment

Didn't we talk about this before?

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t17411/

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t13888/

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t19777/

Comment

We did, and I had that miter saw bookmarked but my computer crashed and I lost it and couldn't find it. That's what I was looking for. I can't remember who it was that made some custom slugs for me, might have been you. Whoever it was, I e-mailed several times in the last few months for some more but never got a response.

So one reason I'm revisiting this is I'm actually doing it now. The second reason is in case somebody had some new ideas.

Anyway, I love the results I got, so I will snag that miter.

Comment

I know Dave Stephens went through a lot of hassle to cut his own when he purchased a lathe. I don't know if he is still doing his own or not.
          www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

I know how Dave felt, I recently bought a Monarch lathe myself just to make those slugs. I tried the bandsaw method, and almost sliced off a finger.

The lathe is great, as you can make piles of great looking slugs in a very short time. The problem is what do you do with the lathe when you're not running it? At least the bandsaw can be used for cutting other stuff too.

ken
            www.angeltone.com

Comment

I have a mini lathe but it's a PITA making slugs with it.

I was actually eyeing up something like this....

Proxxon KG50 Cut-Off Saw KG50

It uses 2" (50mm) abrasive disks if wanting to cut ferrous metals.

Comment

I think this is the second of 2 Threads about the homemade slugs.
                On the other thread you were talking about using 1010, then at the end it looked like you were going with the 1018.
                Just trying to keep up. Did you end up using the 1010 or the 1018, and what diameter did you end up with?
                I also think you were talking about making the slugs a bit longer.
                A recap would be nice, if you don't mind, & I for one wouldn't mind seeing some Pix of the plated finished product!
                Thanks in advance!
                Terry
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

I'm still with 1018 so far, in fact my homemade 1018's sound so good I don't think I'll be bothering with 1010, at least for the time being.

I'm still curious about making some slightly wider diameter slugs to give low-PAF range buckers a bit of a wider tone. Just a matter of whether the bobbin slug holes can be safely widened to accommodate a bigger slug -- or some other solution.

Comment

Zhang,

You may find that drilling out the bobbins for bigger slugs may not be a good idea.
                    There isn't very much plastic in the middle of the bobbins, so trying to drill them out could melt out the centers of the bobbins.

I think there are Tom Anderson? HB's with .250 diameter slugs, so you might want to look at those. The ones I saw had Forbon bobbins like a Fender.

ken
                    www.angeltone.com

Comment

One of my the pickups i was playing around with a while back , the "JUGGERNAUT" prototype ,I was too lazy to build a jig to drill the holes that's why there a little wonky it has 1/4" slugs

sorry i don't know how to get small pictures
                      something like the Tom Anderson design , but it is the simplest way to make a taller bobbin
                      Last edited by copperheadroads; 10-28-2010, 12:59 AM.
                      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Copper:
                        I like your design, it kills a couple different birds with one application.
                        You made taller bobbins, and you made a larger diameter bobbin all in one go!
                        I would think probably 12-14k dcr of 42 ga Single build should be doable!
                        Terry
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          I would think probably 12-14k dcr of 42 ga Single build should be doable!
                          Terry
                          Yes,but even if it's possible to get 14K of #42 PE in those bobbins, somehow I don't think it'll sound as good as 14K of # 43 PE in standard bobbins... but don't mind me; it's NOT my experience talking here, but my gut feeling and I've been wrong many times before.

I'd certainly like to hear some clips of that one, for sure!
                          Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                          Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                            Yes,but even if it's possible to get 14K of #42 PE in those bobbins, somehow I don't think it'll sound as good as 14K of # 43 PE in standard bobbins... but don't mind me; it's NOT my experience talking here, but my gut feeling and I've been wrong many times before.

I'd certainly like to hear some clips of that one, for sure!
                            yeah you would need a hot magnet to go with it. A8 or C8.
                            Possibilities may be endless with that one.
                            Terry
                            Terry

Comment

Ken, I'm keenly aware of the space/size limitations. It may be something that requires Fender-style forbon treatment as illustrated by copper head. But a standard bobbin may still hold together plenty well enough even if they open up the sides between the flanges. If so, just cover them with coil tape and off I go.

I don't think copperhead's design necessarily needs a high output magnet. My thinking is the opposite -- the big slugs would make an A2/3/4/5 bigger. As for whether you can get 12-14k worth of 42 on there, it depends on how much vertical space there is, but:

1) The 1/4" slugs take up a lot of horizontal space which might entirely cancel out the vertical space gain, depending on the pattern.

2) Would you really even want a 14k pickup with 42 gauge? Would be about equal to 18-19k worth of 43, probably very dark and muddy, especially with the magnet farther away from the strings due to the taller bobbins, and the wider slugs to see more lows.

Comment

Working...
                              X