Salvaging Bandmaster Tube Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvaging Bandmaster Tube Chart

Any thoughts on how I might relax the curls in this chart, adhere what's left to the cabinet and then protect it from getting any worse?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill's Bandmaster - After 135.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	867.4 KB
ID:	862954

Depends on what you wanna do with the amp. As a collectors item I would leave it as is since that's how the amp was built 50 years ago (sort of normal aging process).
    For a player or anyone whor needs to know which tubes to use in this specific amp you might draw a new tube chart by yourself.

Comment

What I wanna do with the amp is get it back to its owner. As it is, a couple more times the power cord is shoved in there, the chart is gone for good. That is why I asked about getting the chart to lie flat so that I can put a protective coating on it. A friend of mine suggested using glycerine to soften the paper, so I am going to try that, thinning it spraying it lightly from an atomizer.

I'm just trying to preserve what's there. As for the tube info, the onwer knows what's in it; can't get much simpler than two tube types.

Comment

I find steam to work pretty well. I have actually ironed a fer documents out with a cloths iron on low. You just have to be careful and sometimes put a thin piece of white cloth over it.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Olddawg, seems like steam would work well.

Here's how this one turned out with the glycerin. I brushed away the dust and used a 50/50 mix with water, spraying it lightly then letting it sit overnight. Next day I gently applied glue to the back of the curled up chart and gradually got it to lay flat.

One of the corners is still there, as you see, and I did pick up a stamped letter K. The second letter was lost in a crease.

The glycerin made the chart a little oily, and it darkened it up a bit more than it was. But it did do what I wanted it to do. Now I plan on cutting a small piece of lexan that will cover the chart, and be attached using the two nearby bolts.

RWoodClick image for larger version

Name:	6G7-A Final 026.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	829.4 KB
ID:	819340[

Comment

Working...
          X