Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 510 volts on plates of 5E3

Hi,

I'm getting 510 volts on the plates of the 6V6 tubes in my 5E3. What else besides an incorrect primary color coding can be the reason for this? I shouldn't be getting higher voltages anywhere than the maximum the tranny is supposed to deliver, right?

thanks!

Are the tubes drawing current? Are you in "standby"? Check voltage at 6V6 pin 8. What are your heater voltages (read AC from pin 2 to pin 7 6V6, use clips/wiore grabbers onm your meter leads)?

Comment

The readings were taken while the amp was not in standby. I'll check these things when I'm back home and report back ...

thanks!

Comment

Did you get this resolved? I'm guessing you have one of those Mercury Magnetics 380-0-380 power transformers, and the tubes aren't drawing much current. That, or your voltmeter was set to Volts AC.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, I was able to get the voltage in fixed bias mode down to slightly below the upper limit for those tubes. It still is a lot higher than in cathode bis mode but within specs and the amp sounds mighty fine.

merry christmas!
          BF

Comment

same problem can you tell me how you fixed this?

Originally posted by Bluefinger View Post
            Hi,

Yes, I was able to get the voltage in fixed bias mode down to slightly below the upper limit for those tubes. It still is a lot higher than in cathode bis mode but within specs and the amp sounds mighty fine.

merry christmas!
            BF
            Hey,
            I have the same problem with a 5e3 kit. Can you fill me in a little bit on how exactly you fixed this issue. Also was your amp making noise at this point as mine is dead silent lol. Thanks hope to hear from ya

Comment

This is a three and a half year old post. You'll do better to post your problem in a new thread.

The greatest likelihood is that your power tubes aren't drawing current for one reason or another. Some voltage testing and posted results could get some useful answers.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                This is a three and a half year old post. You'll do better to post your problem in a new thread.

The greatest likelihood is that your power tubes aren't drawing current for one reason or another. Some voltage testing and posted results could get some useful answers.
                Okidoke that makes sense for sure would bad power supply capacitors cause this sort of voltage back up? Or possibly really out of whack bias? I know there is no current being detected across the grid resistor I think its called. I kno im using a sovtek 5y3gt and they gave me the 6v6s and my power transformer is 350-0-350 so im wondering if this is making a crazy scenario or maybe I have capacitors blown. Either way thanks a million for even replying. You guys who help us are excuse my language the shit the world would be a dim dark place w/out you

Comment

I have my 6v on the heater filaments and the b+ coming into the standby switch is 350 on the dot but when it combines with the output tranny it bumps it up to a ridiculous 510. That's what my I guess plate voltage is too from pin 3

Comment

Working...
                  X