Ampeg SVT-4 Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg SVT-4 Pro

I have before me an SVT-4 with 5.6 volts of DC on the output of amp A. On the main board (pg 1, top right) R118 is obviously fried, R119 measures almost 1 meg (not visibly, but cooked?) and Q102 is shorted between emitter and collector. Is there anything else I should check or replace as a matter of course before I power it up again?

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files

I got the parts and installed them. I went ahead and replaced Q103 as well, although it doesn't test bad. I am assuming that's where all the current went when things got fried, but I'm not sure. It would be great if I got a second opinion. It would be sad if the same components fried again.

Comment

If Q102 was a random failure, you may be ok.
      To quote Enzo "Never come up with a reason to Not check something."
      Taken another way, check everything.
      These are some powerful amps, so I hope you have a lamp limiter, just in case you missed something.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I do have a limiter. Another Enzo paraphrase is 'follow the current-whatever is downstream is suspect'. Did I get that right?

Comment

Close enough. However I say it, it boils down to the excess current of whatever failure has to flow somewhere, so check everything in its path.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X