Schatten motor search update: I found a good replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schatten motor search update: I found a good replacement

Thanks for your help guys. I decided to try some motors. I found some at Marlin P Jones website. The one that works I found is a 13.6 vdc motor.6100 rpm. Its a Johnson Brand model 9167ak. The part number on their site is 17943. Its a big motor but it will fit in the winder. The screw type to mount with are the same thread count as the screws that hold the face plate of the schatten winder on. I cut mine down and used them to mount. Its ALMOST a perfect fit to the holes already there on the winder. Just drill them slightly larger and youll get it to fit. I made the motor pulley out of a dowel. Using my train transformer to power it, thought Im sure I dont even reach 9vdc to get the speed I want. Torque galore!

Should we make this a sticky?

Comment

Yea! :-)

I'll have to take my calipers to the hole centers on the winder and the motor holes - they are real close to 1" but a little bit off. Easy to make it work though.

***NOTE*** this motor works in the new schatten winder where the motor pulleys are outside the main box. I dont know if this would mount on the older model.
      Last edited by achase4u; 12-15-2010, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Here's the link: https://www.mpja.com/category/Motors...M_17943_MD.asp
        considering that the mounting holes are metric I'd guess that the spacing is also metric, 25 or 26 mm..

Comment

This would be a good fix using the existing motor:

12V/5A DC MOTOR SPEED CONTROL KIT

The motor works, the speed controller is the part that breaks.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thats a cool speed control kit thanks. The motor is weak though to start with on the Schatten, and slow. So there are better options for motors out there. Ironically, when I hook up the motors these days with the schatten speed controller, it works fine. Voltage output is solid. I want to take a reading when it acts up, but I am totally bypassing that speed controller anyway. Im using a model train transformer with the new motor.

Comment

Hi All

I use a bidirectional speed controller from here. Bidirectional DC Motor Speed Controller, 5-32V, 10A (3166v2) It works a treat you just have to put a marker on the knob so that you doŽnt mistakenly run the motor the wrong way. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Working...
              X