Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6v6 Ab2?????

Hi everybody!

Has anybody seen a class AB2 6V6 amp? Just a "deluxe on steroids" idea But without the bigger tubes etc!

how about here -
    http://boozhoundlabs.com/bhl-15/

Comment

Andrew,

Wow, that's...uh...really some interesting reading - thanks for the link. I never realized that "the problem with cathode follow is that they sound like crap", or that using a 6SN7 PI w/choke tail resulted in AB2 operation. Oh well, you learn something gnu every day.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Ivers
        Andrew,

Wow, that's...uh...really some interesting reading - thanks for the link. I never realized that "the problem with cathode follow is that they sound like crap", or that using a 6SN7 PI w/choke tail resulted in AB2 operation. Oh well, you learn something gnu every day.

Ray

Ha ha ha.. my instant reaction also... how coud l have been so stupid for all these years.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Hi Guys!

Thanks harlot for your replies. Well, in another thread about AB2 hifi amps, a guy claims that he achieved a better linearity with 6550 triode connected AB2, than an UL pentode PP amp. (the emperor's new amp) Don't know if this true, but yeah, CF and AB2 are definately crap

Comment

OH MY GOD! I'm not even going to comment on the content of that page.

-Carl

Comment

Max,

What BBS was the 6550-triode thread at? I do think a P-P AB2 triode 6550 output stage would be a bit more linear than an AB1 6550 UL circuit; the triode design would put out less power, but the AB2 operation would get some of that lost power back if the driver and load lines were set up properly. FWIW, I think I'd go with an AB2 UL circuit for a MV guitar amp, though the AB2 triode setup might sound really good for both MV and non-master amps...

Oh, I forgot - I did run two 6V6's in AB2, a long time ago. 700Vp, 350Vs, +22Vg (!), cathode drive, 100 watts clean output (!!). I ran this circuit for all of two minutes (during which it performed just fine), and I seriously doubt even the best 6V6's would last more than a week of daily use under these conditions - but it was an interesting experiment.

When the long USB cables I ordered finally arrive, I'm going to scan and post this cool circuit from AudioXPress magazine, which claims to achieve AB2 operation from an AB1 circuit by adding Zener diodes/resistors from each output tube grid to the bias supply; the 'scope waveforms from the article certainly indicate that it works very well, exactly as claimed. Apparently someone at the 18W Marshall group came up with something similar, but I've yet to see a print of that circuit so I don't really know.

Ray

Comment

Hi Ray!

Yes i'd like to see that! I like the idea of using zeners as cathode "bias"

Here's teh amp http://www.normankoren.com/Audio/TENA.html

And the thread which led me to it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=31772

Bye.

Max.

Comment

Max,

Hey, thanks for both those links! That amp design is most excellent IMO; it uses NFB across the OT, but nobody's perfect. I downloaded that page and I'll go over it in more detail tonight, but what I see so far looks real nice. I think anyone seriously considering AB2 operation should check out that schematic first, and then decide whether or not they want to get involved with it.

The diyaudio forum was also interesting, in a different way. I thought it was too bad that everyone seemed to be trying to talk the original poster out of building the amp, and once again I "learned" that CF's suck, along with transformers and SS devices this time (why stop there? a pretty good case could be made that tubes, resistors, caps, cables, and pretty much all other components "suck" too, each in their own way) - but the general feeling I got was of knowledgeable folks having a serious discussion, same as here - only in the hi-fi realm rather than MI.

Ray

Comment

Hey Satamax,

Well, I don't know of any 6V6 AB2 amps...but I do happen to know where you can find a 6V6 design that doesn't need to draw grid current to sound like "Alien Technology"...

Stop by and let me know what you think about it. I always had a hard time loving the Deluxes--don't get me wrong, they are great amps. I just never enjoyed playing them enough. I never found any prominent 6V6 designs that did the tube any true justice. I like to think that my new amp might do just that .
                    Jason C. Arthur
                    http://jcacircuits.com
                    jason@jcacircuits.com

Comment

Working...
                    X