6v6 and 6v6GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6v6 and 6v6GT

Sorry I'm a newbie here. I have a question about the 6V6 and 6V6GT version. Is the only difference between them filament warm up time? So would it be ok to swap them.

paul

GT means glass tube.

Comment

Thank you!!

paul

Comment

6V6 @ The National Valve Museum
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

thanks to Steve:

6V6 (steel envelope): 6V6 @ The National Valve Museum
          6V6GT (glass): 6V6G @ The National Valve Museum

Comment

Thanks for the link .

Comment

In addition the 6V6GT is a beam tetrode rated for 12W plate dissipation, whereas the 6V6GTA is a pentode and can be rated up to 14W http://scottbecker.net/tube/sheets/135/6/6V6GTA.pdf
              Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Yeah I have been looking at the datasheets from National. I wanted to order some 6v6's but I would see the GT or just 6v6 listed and wasn't sure. Thanks for posting I've read a few of your other posts and they are always informative.

Comment

GT is a reference to the compact "bantam" tube envelope originally developed by Hytron in the late 1930's.

It's not true that 6V6/6V6G are 12W tubes and 6V6GTA are 14W tubes. What happened is that the industry switched from the "design center" to the "design maximum" ratings system for 6V6's around the time 6V6GTA's where introduced, and most of the data sheets you find online are early examples. I have in front of me a 1960 tube manual from RCA that lists 6V6 (yes, the metal ones) and 6V6GT at 14W plate, 350V max. I am skeptical that the guts of the tube changed during this period, except for the heater.

- Scott

P.S. The 6V6 never changed to a pentode (implying the presence of a suppressor grid), either. It's unfortunate that GE put "beam pentode" in the linked datasheet, because there is no such thing! 6V6's were "beam tetrodes" or "beam power tubes" the whole way through.

Comment

The "Beam Power Tube" is actually a hybrid between the tetrode & the pentode.
                    The steering beams are supressor grids in a way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                      The "Beam Power Tube" is actually a hybrid between the tetrode & the pentode.
                      The steering beams are supressor grids in a way.
                      Beam-forming plates serve much the same role as suppressor grids, but that doesn't make them the same thing.

Most tube-minded people know how these tubes work, it's just the nomenclature that irks me at times. I mainly wanted to make sure it was understood that 6V6's were never reworked as true pentodes. (Why would they? That's the EL84/6BQ5's job...)

- Scott

Comment

I have a couple of those 6BQ5's I haven't checked out the data on them didn't know they were pentodes. I'm still learning here as you can tell from the number of posts I have.

Comment

Well the GE and Tung-Sol 6V6GTA datasheets have schematics of a pentodes on them (suppressor grid'n'all).

And I didn't say they were 14W, I said they can be rated for 14W (so there) ;-b

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Is the suppressor grid called the getter also? The little halo in the tube.

Comment

The suppressor grid (in the schematic in the datasheet - and who knows whether it actually exists in the real world? I must pull apart an RCA 6V6GTA and see for myself) is connected to the cathode internally. Suppressor grids in pentodes are physically situated between the screen and the plate - so they are in the part of the apparatus that is enclosed by the plate. The suppressor grid is there to stop any electrons that bounce off the plate from going further back the wrong way. Whereas the getter(s) are elsewhere in the bottle (but outside of the plate structure). A getter is only used once when the bottle is first made, to de-gas the 'vacuum' inside the envelope (or if you, as a mad scientist, want to re-activate the getter in order re-vitalise a flagging tube by giving it a quick zap in a microwave oven).

This begs the question of what's actually inside a JJ6V6S. Beam tetrode or beam pentode? The datasheet says its a pentode but...

Comment

Working...
                              X