Sound drop-off when hitting high E string hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound drop-off when hitting high E string hard

I made a Telecaster style guitar from cheap body and neck parts (Paulownia body) but I used a good vintage style bridge w/brass sadles and good electronics. I wound the bridge pup to 6.7K 42 AWG enamel wire and the neck is wound with 43 AWG heavy Formvar to 6.3K (tight fit under the cover). I love the tone but when I pick the high E and B (not as bad) string hard the sound is low on the initial attack. This happens on both the neck pup and to a lesser degree on the bridge pup.
    Any comments would be appreciated
    Thanks

Did you charge the magnets yourself? I assume they are alnico rods? Are you sure they all have a healthy charge?

Other than that I can't think of anything strictly electronic that would only affect those strings. I've heard TUBES make funny noises like that, and odd hardware can do that too, though that is easily checked by turning down the volume and listening if it is still there.

Comment

What about string alignment and string height?
      Some import bridges and bodies are narrower that the fender spaced pickups.
      This effects the outside poles the most.
      A simple test for magnet strength without gauss meters is to take a small steel object.
      I use the end of the handle of a small round file.
      touch it to the magnet and pull it away on all 6 magnets front and rear of the magnet.
      You can tell which are weak and which are strong.
      Good luck,
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Thanks, the alignment is good and I could the height is pretty much the way I always set them. If I hit the string (medium pluck it sounds great it’s just when I hit hard or worse if I pick a hard upstroke it drops out every time. I’ll check the mag charge and change the height and report back later
        Thanks

Comment

That sounds like something breaking down, or clipping.
          That's a new one on me.
          When you made the neck pickup did you insulate between the magnets and the cover.
          Like tape. I notice that seems like the trend is to not let the magnets, or pole pieces touch the cover.
          On humbuckers I've seen where some put tape between the slugs and the cover. I usually just put a little hot wax in the cover first.
          On a fender tele bridge I rewound there was tape between the baseplate and the end of the magnets.
          I guess its for microphonics.
          Don't know if this could be your deal or not.
          Maybe the Vol. Pot or Cap. is breaking down under the loud load?
          Good Luck,
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Working...
          X