I need help with old wiring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with old wiring.

So first off, I'm new here, and am hoping to get some help. I recently came across a box full of guitar pedals in a shed at my grandparents home. The pedals include a morley power fuzz wah, Boss OD-2, Boss DD-2, Boss HF-2, and an Ibanez ts-9 tube screamer. They were all pretty dirty, but i opened them all up, resoldered some broken wires, and cleaned up some corrosion, they all work now except for the morley, which is what i need help with. First off, here is the schematics I found http://www.morleypedals.com/pwfes.pdf. There is a wire missing on the Fuzz switch the schemiatic says there should be a wire going from the switch to "A." That is where my problem is, I dont know what A is. On the wah switch(ordering a new one because its broken) "C" runs to #3 on the board, and B runs to #4 (I thought that might help some).
    This is the Wah switch, I pointed out the path of B and C
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...8/IMG_0524.jpg

Heres an overall picture, wah switch on the left, fuzz switch on the right.
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...8/IMG_0523.jpg

Here is the fuzz switch
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...8/IMG_0522.jpg

If anyone needs more pictures please let me know. I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you to all in advance.
    Last edited by htebreeder; 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM.

Oh man. I never in a million years thought I'd live to see that phrase!: "I recently came with a box full of guitar pedals in a shed at my grandparents home."

I take it you are high school or college age, or else you have some VERY cool grandparents?

(Incidentally, that HF-2 is a good pedal.)

Comment

Looking at this schematic it possibly doesn't connect to anything.

Mark: I know. How come I never come across a box of pedals just laying around? I was also expecting them to be super old ones. He must be young and have younger grandparents than I do.

Comment

Sorry about the typo, I have fixed it. The part that says its going to "A" isn't connected to anything at the moment. Here is my main problem, The wah switch is broken, can't activate it at the moment. When the new switch gets here I'll see how that goes when i put it in. The schematic says two wires should go between the two switches correct( I think)? The pedal allows sound to get through, but when it turn on the fuzz feature it goes dead, turn it back off, it lets the guitar sound into the amp. Do you think the broken wah switch could be the culprit? On another note, my grandparents have passed away, so I will never know who they belonged to. I am in college as well.

Comment

Well, somebody in your family is/was cool.

The reverse engineered schematic that Bloodbath links to doesn't appear to make a helluvalot of sense to me. I suspect it may be incomplete. Of course, "factory"schematics have been known to be inaccurate too.

The point marked "A" on the switch in the schematic goes to the current-limiting resistor marked "A" over on the lower right of the schematic (just above where it says "Model PWF"). It is used for the status LED indicating effect status. Both the fuzz and wah sections have status indicator lights. The other thing that "A" does is cause the gain in the fuzz section to change. You can see that the "Fuzz Ind." is connected to two LEDs in series. One of them shines on a photocell (inside the circle). One of the things about Morley pedals of that era is that they use a light and shutter arrangement, such that movement of the treadle obstructs the light by moving a sort of shutter. It works well, but its very easy to bump those out of place.

As for switches being the culprit, they tend to become the culprit when people don't solder to them properly. That's not a scolding. Believe me, it happens VERY often amongst folks who have not done much building.

If the switch (can't see the pictures) is one of those with rivets through it, there's not much you can do to fix it, but if it has pull up tabs then you can disassemble it, "rehabilitate" it, and reassemble it. I've done so many times.

Comment

The switch looks to be in bad shape, the switch is actually broken completely off, and only the square part that the wires connect to remain. You pointed out where the wire needs to connect to, and I thank you for that, but I'm still unclear on what I should do. I'll have to open the pedal back up and study it a but more, see if I can make it clear for myself. Thanks for the help Mark, I really appreciate it. For all I know my grandfather could have been a guitarist a long while back, and I think that's why I feel an urge to get all of the pedals I found up and running. I'll get back to this thread when the new switch gets here, hopefully I can figure it out. If not I'll take it to get repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
              The point marked "A" on the switch in the schematic goes to the current-limiting resistor marked "A" over on the lower right of the schematic (just above where it says "Model PWF").
              Good spot Mark. For the life of me I couldn't see it and now that you pointed it out it's plain as day. Seemed kind of odd to be left unconnected.

Comment

Okey dokey. Stay in touch here, and I'll be happy to nurse you through it. Grandparents that cool deserve to be honoured.

Comment

I guess that switch doesn't need a wire to run to A. I got the new switch and put it in today, and now it works fine, the fuzz, wah, and volume functions all work. Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to go enjoy this pedal .

Comment

The "Fuzz Indicator" LED lights up and everything? Does the LED turn on and off?

Comment

There isn't a fuzz indicator LED anywhere on it *shrugs*. Maybe it's optional?

Comment

Working...
                      X