Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1976-78 Fender Precision bass Fake or real Need Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976-78 Fender Precision bass Fake or real Need Help!!!!

I have a Fender P bass Im having a hard time telling whats original on the pickguard and the pots. The pots say ER885 250K 0814 CTS and the input jack is a swicthcraft. I cant find anything on the pickguard at all But it looks like their was a factory sticker on the front of pickguard at one time. I did they have sticker on the pickguards back then? The neck says 0103-3884 on the heel and the body I found a sticker under the pickup. Does this seem right? I have some pics here too Thank you
    Attached Files

I used to own a '76 P bass, and the date stamp was at the end of the fingerboard/neck, not on the heel. Do you have a date stamp? The pots could have been changed, and anyone can stick a sticker on a bass. But I do seem to remember round stickers on the basses when they were new.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Well, according to the stamp on the neck heel, whoever finished or inspected it was called "Armenta". Not a very common name in China or Japan, but common in Mexico and probably California too.

So that suggests it's either American, or a Mexican one that's been souped up to look like something it's not. Well, the neck, at least.

Fender didn't start producing in Mexico until 1986, so if you can find a post-76 or post-86 date stamp on it, that would settle things.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

All of the assembler names I've seen on 70s instruments have been Hispanic. J. Torres is one that I see repeatedly.

The electronics are definitely not original - in fact, that wire from the pickup looks an awful lot like the 22 awg wire used on Mexican made instruments. The bridge doesn't look very vintage, either. I'm going to put my money on the pickguard assembly, if not the whole body, being Mexican. If we could see more of the neck there might be a chance of making judgement on that... I don't remember the red stamps on the Mexican necks - in fact, they usually have stickers that are very annoying, so it may be a vintage neck on a new body.

Those pots don't look Vintage or Mexican - Fender has always preferred the CTS style with the screw/washer hanging off of the back and I've never seen them use the closed back type. It is possible though.

Comment

On looking again, I withdraw what I say about the body - I'm seeing screw holes that could indicate a vintage style guard, and the painted over shielding tape may have never been a Mexican thing. I'm not saying I think it is real, but it is not jumping out at me as being Mexican either.

Comment

Are Pickups original. They should have date codes on them.
            I have rewound several 70's Pickups, and they usually have the very dark Plain Enamel wire.
            Also some of the date codes are stamped on rear in red ink, ending in the year.
            Later,
            Terry
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

I'm going out on a limb here, but using the info on the neck heel stamp and EIA code on the pots, I'd say it was an '84 USA P-Bass, possibly a vintage reissue.

The EIA code on the pots ends in a 4, and the neck is stamped 0103-3884. If they are following a quasi-EIA code sequence, then the neck might have been manufactured the 38th week of 84. In addition, 010- is Fender's SKU code for USA-made models. Mexico is 013. I don't recall what year Fender switched over to CNC machines, but the tooling holes in the heel and pocket suggest they were cut on pin routers. However, reissues have these authentic "features" added.
              John R. Frondelli
              dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I would still look at the back of the pickups, If the originals haven't been changed!
                Terry
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

I still own my 76 P that I bought NIB at the music store when I was in high school. What you're looking at isn't an original 1976 bass. Everything is different.

My 1976 came out of a sealed factory box with it's original tags and stickers. It had a clear peel-away pickguard cover. It didn't come with the kind of round stickers that were on that pickguard in the photos.

The foil covers 100% of the backside.

I've only had the neck off once, several years ago, out of morbid curiosity. It hasn't been off since. My recollection is that that the butt of the neck was unsprayed & unfinished. I am absolutely certain that the inspector marks are written in pencil.

I can't comment on the pickups. Seymour Duncan personally rewound mine in 1976 when he was still a nobody and mine weren't original for very long.

The picture that you really want to see is the front side headstock decal and serial number. There's a reason you're not seeing that photo.
                  Last edited by bob p; 01-26-2011, 08:01 PM.
                  "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

jfrond... I think you're on to something! I forgot about the Fender part numbers (I used to have those stupid things memorized... I do remember that the strings I used to use were 073-0150-005 though). My vote is now on early/mid 80s reissue.

As I recall the very early reissues had an insanely thick finish. They would have started late '83, I think. Sometimes you can catch a glimpse of that on the strap button screw holes or similar.

I'd still like to see the head/decal.

Comment

As much interest as this thread has generated, You would think the originator would check back in and tell us what he came up with!
                      Instead of just leaving us all hanging.
                      I like to give a summary of what happened at the end of the fox hunt.
                      Did I get the fox, did the fox climb a tree, go in a hole, or did he give us the slip?
                      I'm off my soap-box now!
                      Rock On.
                      Terry
                      Last edited by big_teee; 01-28-2011, 06:05 AM.
                      Terry

Comment

I can tell ya one thing for sure, ... that pickguard is NOT 70s or even 80s. Those sticker "ghosts" are from a more recent time.

Comment

Well given the file names of the photos, I'd say the guy didn't even see it in person let alone own it. He was thinking of buying it on EBay or similar online service, so he had the seller send him some pics and joined up here for a free valuation. Based on the response he got, he probably didn't buy it, hence the lack of further information.
                          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                            Well given the file names of the photos, I'd say the guy didn't even see it in person let alone own it. He was thinking of buying it on EBay or similar online service, so he had the seller send him some pics and joined up here for a free valuation. Based on the response he got, he probably didn't buy it, hence the lack of further information.
                            He probably didn't buy it.
                            However like I posted earlier, I don't mind all that, but at least post the outcome.
                            Every detailed thread where guys dig and give info and help you trouble shoot.
                            It would be nice if the OP would at least post the resolve or outcome!
                            Like if you have a 20 post on a guitar repair, don't just leave us hanging.
                            You end up with the gang still trying to come up with the fix and the OP has already moved on!
                            Seems to happen all the time though!
                            Terry
                            Terry

Comment

Working...
                            X