Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to make a speaker baffle board for a 70s Fender Super Reverb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to make a speaker baffle board for a 70s Fender Super Reverb.

I just bought a used 75 or so Fender Super Reverb. It has the master volume, but the amp has a particle board speaker baffle and it is cracked in the middle of it. Plus, I think if I got a thick plywood board and cut the speaker holes out myself, it would be superior. So I think I need to do this. I'm a bit concerned about originality, but it needs to be a good player. I will probably measure the thickness of the original wood and get a same-thickness board, then cut it out and maybe stain or paint it black, or the same color as the original board. The grill has some tears in it, maybe I should just get new Grill cloth as well. I really don't want to dump too much into the cosmetics but nor do I want to do these minor restorations in the wrong way. I'm hoping for greater functionality and stability of the box, as well as consistency cosmetically. Any tips on putting the old speakers on the new baffle would be appreciated.

Oops, never mind, just found this:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15521/

Comment

The work is in getting the old baffle out. The partical board baffles are glued into slots routed in the bottom and sides of the cabinet. For my 1972 Super Reverb restoration, I cut mine out and filled and sanded the slots smooth, then screwed and glued some blocks in place to screw the new baffle board in from the back like my Blackface amps. Mine was in rough shape cosmetically and I retolexed the amp, so I wasn't concerned with using some serious tools on it to get it done quickly. Be careful to protect your tube chart.

Comment

This one wasn't so difficult, it was screwed in place with screws on the sides of the cabinet. There are no routes on the cabinet, there are side pieces on the cabinet , that the chassis rests on when its screws are loosened. These side pieces are where the baffle is screwed in from behind, as well as the back side pieces which are where the back covers are screwed on. I think it is original, although the tube chart says AB763 on it, which I'm not sure is correct, as this is the master volume with push-pull pot model.

Comment

Interesting. It is definitely not an AB763 circuit with the master volume. Does the grill cloth have the blue stripes? That may be another clue.

You can get the baffle complete with the grill cloth ready to mount for jsut under $100. I have done two this way because it would cost half of that in materials and it was hard for me to justify the time involved.

Comment

I did a little poking around and it was stated on Greg Gagliano's Dating Fender amps Dating Fender Tube Amps by Serial Number that they printed so many tube charts that said AB763 that they simply put them on the later amps with a different circuit. I would have to go look at the grill again. I believe this is an early master volume version because the pots date around '75 which is when they say the master volume circuit was added. Additionally, the speakers, although they're ceramic magnet Fender, I am not sure if they're original. They have paper tags on the sides of the magnets that indicate they're made by eminence. The baffle has some cracks in it towards the middle of it, but it is passable for us keeping it as is until we decide to replace it. Meanwhile I may price the plywood in the area, as I think I've got all the necessary tools to cut the holes and staple the grill cloth. It's fortunate this is a screw-on baffle, though. That would be a nightmare to remove a glue-in baffle..

Comment

Working...
            X