Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mods for Peavey Classic 30, but which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mods for Peavey Classic 30, but which one?

Hi everybody,

since my C30 is having problems and needs to see a tech hands soon, I figured that it would be nice to mod it as a bonus. I'm not sure which one I really want, so I hope that you can help me.

Basically, I'm a metalhead,mostly solo but also rhythm guitarist. I realize that br00tal death metal tones are impossible to achieve here and maybe a good option for that would be dist pedal (Wampler triple wreck) on clean channel with good headroom. But I hope that I could pull "metal with lesser amount of gain" from OD channel. Something like Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, maybe Slayer, Metallica and also shred stuff like Malmsteen, Vai, Paul Gilbert etc. Or it's impossible? I'm really fan of Mesa Boogie Mark tone too, like Petrucci and Hetfield.

Really don't care for clean channel that much, gain is priority. Slo100 mod sounds like a really good option but I'm afraid that it will kill all bass frequencies, and guitar will sound too thin (or it's not?). Articulation is VERY important, and reasonable amount of bass ( as tight as possible) is required. Don't want harsh, ice picks treble also. Avoiding fuzzy and artificial character of gain if it's possible.

Other mods from blueguitar also appeal nice:
    Tone Stack
    OD Tone control
    Bias mod
    Master control
    Presence control
    Standby switch
    Changing boost and making it footswitchable (maybe putting a pot for changing amount of boost)
    Adding jack for easy pluging off inside speaker
    Maybe reverb mod ( don't know which one)
    Adding fan for cooling down the amp
    Not sure about input mods, what are they?

If something important is missing, please let me known.

One more thing, tubes and speaker are stock. They are also part of the equation, so feel free to recommend something also

I know I'm probably talking jiberish. This amp was a present, and letting it go is not an option. Buying another amp is not an option at the moment, because of the financial difficulties.

You CAN make the amp more of what you want but it's good your at terms with the fact that it's simply not a "metal" amp. Sort of like trying to make a Ford Pinto into a street rod. Sure you can make a cool fast Pinto, but you can make a much faster Mustang.

The SLO mod shouldn't take away much bottom end it just won't overdrive the bottom end into mush. That doesn't help you anyway since turning the bass up past the point where it's distorting doesn't make more bottom end, just more mush.

Rather than tell us what you want it to do, when looking for a mod suggestion it's better if you tell us what the amp isn't doing for you. Then mods might be suggested to fill in the gaps. ie: "The amp is too bright" or "I want more gain but less mush".
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The SLO mod doesn't involve drilling any extra holes in the chassis, and it doesn't involve changing the relay on the circuit board, so it is fairly 'non-invasive' from that point of view. But does change the clean channel and there's no getting away from that. The only further 'improvement' I would make to the SLO mod is to dump the 1M @ R9 in order to lessen the load on V1A. JM2CW
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

@Chuck H
        Cool fast Pinto is enough If I can do that with listed mods, that would be great.

It may sound dumb, but I had problems with OD channel, haven't used it for a while, and don't remember it's precise sound. So basically I can't tell You what the hell do I want, because I don't know that
        That's why I listed bands, so that You can know approximately

@tubesweel
        Can You tell me in which way it changes the clean channel (sound wise)? Can I have good headroom (with proper tubes) with that mode?

Comment

Originally posted by zero View Post
          @tubesweel
          Can You tell me in which way it changes the clean channel (sound wise)? Can I have good headroom (with proper tubes) with that mode?
          Clean is on the start of this clip. Through my strat - speaker was an alnico bulldog for this one
          Attached Files
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
          X