rebuilding an amp without a layout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuilding an amp without a layout?

Ive got an Ampeg gs12r rr2 from 1966-67.The cabinet is in great shape but the circuit board is trash ,cracked etc someone leftit outside in a wooden shed for years.Id like to rebuild it with a turret board .should i just replace each component one at a time then install new board and attach the wiring from pots,tubes,etc.thanks

Somehow you will need a layout.
    Maybe draw one as you are ripping each component out.

Comment

Or take some decent hi-res gutshot pics from various angles
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Or build something else that's fun. A lot of old Ampegs weren't super great circuits. I don't know if that one is a good one or not.

Comment

When building an amp its definetely best to use a layout, this way you have each component in the optimum place with the most conservative spacing. Get the schematic for your Ampeg, get some graphing paper and lay it out to scale. Usually graphing paper is big enough to do half scale, sometimes full scale if its a simple design.
          When I do this, it takes me about three or four drafts to refine the layout. When you lay it out the first time you will see that there are better places for components. Try to get all the grounds on one side of the board. This might require you to have jumpers which you can use 16ga buss wire for. The first time you layout a schematic will be a fun learning experience. Even if you design or clone its always good to have a layout, self drawn or otherwise.
          Purchase a blank turret board from tube depot. They sell the turrets, and a turret kit. Drill the holes by hand or drill press. After you are done and have soldered your components in, you can run it over with a car, light it on fire, and it will most likely still work. High Quality and easy to mod/troubleshoot.

Comment

Working...
          X