Ampeg SVT 1970's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg SVT 1970's

Does anyone still use or is familiar with the characteristics of the 1970's Ampeg SVT Bass Amp.

I have one here and when both channels are set equally (tone controls set to 12 o'clock, tone switches set to zero), channel one is not as loud as channel two.

If the channel two volume control is set to 10 o'clock, the channel one volume control has to be at 12 o'clock in order for the sound to be equal in loudness.

Additionally, if we set the ultra low switch to the + position on channel two, then both volume controls will mirror each other in terms of the volume output.

Is this the way the amp is supposed to be?

Any Experts who use this amp?

You know, the one's with the engine hoist in the van.

Thanks,
    Dan

Only 4 years later i find this post.

Exactly the same behaviour mine has and i've checked everything i can from the schematics.
    Rolled the tubes, bought new ones, even had a full cap job but channel 1 is still quieter.
    I'm now thinking that this is normal for them although i have a friend who said his was the opposite with channel 2 being quieter. Or it might be the 1 meg volume pot ?

I assumed that they were supposed to be the same in terms of volume with 12 o'clock being full volume, past that was to get the output tubes to overdrive ?

Steve

Comment

Itīs probably normal.
      Anyway thatīs not a problem by itself.
      And the "12 oīclock rule" is not set in stone, nor written or specified anywhere, itīs just something that happens often, but not always, by a long shot.
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Finally, a post about a real SVT.
        Not the junk ones, full of transistors, made by (omitted) in China, and sold as: "SVTs"
        You can build a junk amp and label it "ampeg" on the outside but it's still (omitted) crap on the inside.
        Yes, a real SVT. It's normal for it to do that. Yes, there are experts here.
        Real SVTs were made in USA by Magnavox. If you have a real one, don't let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
          ...It's normal for it to do that...
          And unless the difference between channels is really radical I encourage the users to stop worrying about the absolute position of the control knobs. The important thing is that one can find a setting that produces the sound they want. It doesn't matter if the control is at 12 O'clock or some other setting. I hear similar things about Fender amps especially concerning the rotation of the volume pot. A guy will complain that his Pro Reverb must be set on volume #4 to be as loud as his buddy's set on #3. One solution is to loosen the set screw and reposition the knob.

Comment

Finally, a post about a real SVT.
            Not the junk ones, full of transistors, made by (omitted) in China, and sold as: "SVTs"
            They aren't made in China. They're made in Vietnam.
            My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

By the same factory that makes Hartke?

Comment

soundguruman said:

By the same factory that makes Hartke?
                You missed it again

No, by the factory that makes Crate.

Why do I waste my time here?
                Somebody who confuses China with Vietnam will also confuse Hartke with Crate ... and many other things too.
                Oh well.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hartke says made in Vietnam too.
                  I'm starting to suspect that it's the same communist plot. Those pinko/commies are flooding our country with exploding amplifiers.
                  Why do you waste your time? Could it be that you need a real job?

Comment

I *do* have a real job.
                    But after some time I sit here to relax a little, chatting about interesting things with cool guys.
                    And sometimes ... what do I find here, mixed with all the good info and cool ideas?
                    Yes ........... you guessed right

I must ask God (or Freud) to forgive me for this, but I also have some pleasure making fun out of the village idiot.
                    I know itīs evil, but sometimes I canīt resist.
                    Forgive me.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

So IS it an evil communist plot? or NOT?

Comment

So IS it an evil communist plot? or NOT?
                        Or .... and this is a frightful possibility .... does it mean we have "won" ?
                        My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

I personally, submit to and welcome our new commie elitist over-lords.
                          I thought all the long that the threat was transistors, but I was cleverly deceived.
                          The real devil lay hidden in their political philosophy.
                          Our experiment in democracy has failed, I concede there will no longer be American Made Amplifiers.

Comment

[Somebody who confuses China with Vietnam will also confuse Hartke with Crate ...]

and what exactly Is the difference?

Comment

There have been disturbing similarities.

Comment

Working...
                              X