Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rangemaster - Modern germanium transitor equivalents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The input resistor is fine, but the output on should be tied to the circuit output, right after the 100 nf cap.

Comment

Thanks kleuck - I did wonder about that .01uF (in terms of how to treat the audio path going to the output) - corrected version attached (with pretty colours)
      Attached Files
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

And 2M2 is pretty high for this circuit -low values=less pop, usually you can't go too low, cause you lower the input impedance too.
        The RM input impedance is very low, so 500 K or 1M would be enough on the input, on the output 100 k is enough.
        And you don't want to power down the circuit when switching the effect off, no circuit can be biased and start instantly, so you ill have a lot of noises when using the switch.
        You'd better wire a true bypass Many Bypass Switching Options
        Last edited by kleuck; 03-19-2011, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Many thanks for that handy link kleuck. I'm eternally grateful. This is how I interpret your suggestion. (The battery is supposed to be wired through a switch on the output jack with this DPDT switch, but I acknowledge I could use a 3PDT switch in that regard).
          Attached Files

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

The input resistor should be soldered right before the input cap of the circuit.
            Here's a modernized clone : http://diy.musikding.de/images/stori...angeschalt.pdf
            Beware, it's a negative ground one (but you can build the same way, the Beano is a negative ground too)
            Usually there's no power switch in pedals, you just need a stereo jack at the input : http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/...8044a841b3e85a
            When there's no jack plugged, the battery is off circuit (no connection to ground)
            Beware, this is a generic negative ground schematic, if you go positive ground, the "+" from the battery has to be tied to the ring of the jack.

Here a positive ground clone : Rangemaster

I realized i did a mistake : i use 1 µf output cap, but if you use a 10nf one, the output resistor should be high, to avoid too much low loss from the output, so stand with 1M or 2M2.
            Last edited by kleuck; 03-20-2011, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Pete, keep us posted on the construction of your RM, I just bought an OC44 for my RM build.

I just bought an AC30 and a Rangemaster is the 2nd part of the three part Brian May equation.
              Stop by my web page!

Comment

Okay I wired it up today but something is not right. I'm getting -.66V from (what I believe is*) the emitter to ground using a battery that measures 8.8VDC. (The base to ground measures -.77VDC) There is -8.67 VDC between the power rail and the ground return with this battery. The emitter resistor and the leg of the base bias voltage divider are pots wired as variable resistors for tuning purposes. The emitter resistor is set at 3k9. The base voltage divider is set with a knee at 470k (a fixed resistor) and the 68k setting on the pot. (Schematic attached)

When I use a battery that measures 9.56VDC, I get -.74VDC from the emitter to ground (and -.85VDC from the base to ground). There is -9.55VDC from the power suply to the ground return with this other battery.

I understand the emitter it is supposed sit at around -7VDC.

Everything is wired as it should be AFAICT, (i.e.: with +ve ground return, and battery -ve to power supply. Both filter caps are +ve to ground return and the resistors and caps are where they ought to be in relation to each other.

*based on what I understood JM Fahey to have explained about the three wires coming out of the bottom of the OC44.

So what is this? A dud OC44?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by tubeswell; 03-26-2011, 01:08 PM.

Comment

It's not the emitter which is supposed to be at -7v, but the collector.

Comment

Whew! Thanks Klueck -7.2 at the collector.

Coool - I just tried it with one of my tube amps - bit late here at the mo' so I couldn't really wind it up. Looking forward to jammin' with it tomorrow. I must say it is very cool

Comment

something is not right. I'm getting -.66V from (what I believe is*) the emitter to ground
                      That's whatyou must have there.
                      -7V there would mean a very dead transistor.
                      Good luck.
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Some pics

FWIW I designed the layout using the 'do it as you go' method i.e.: I pre-assembled the board first, and the juggled the bits around to get the best fit. (Now I just have to think of some pic to put on the front).
                        Attached Files

Comment

I took it gigging last night with my PR clone. Wicked combination. I'll have make some soundbytes

Comment

Working...
                          X