Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

old Egnater ie4 preamp died!, smells burnt!, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old Egnater ie4 preamp died!, smells burnt!, help!

I have an old ie4 that I purchased new in the early nineties. The other night at a show I began to hear a clicking sound coming through my speakers. A fairly rapid succession of 3-4 clicks per second that was not terribly loud, but not completely in the background either.Then shortly there after the ie4 went dead. no lights on it or anything. It would not power up. There was a burnt smell that was little bitter smelling coming from the amp, I looked pretty closely and saw no burnt traces or components. Nothing looked suspect. The electrolytic caps looked fine and had no bubbles seepage or bulging. The fuse seemed to look fine. I do run this into a Rocktron intellifex and i had been noticing that the input lights on the fx unit were not all getting lit up, as if the output from the Egnater preamp was getting weaker. This seemed most apparent on the dirty channels and not so much on the clean. This lead me to think maybe it was a tube especially V7 the output tube, but why would the amp not even turn on even after trying a new tube in there and checking the fuse ( by eye, not MM)

I use this with a VHT 2/50/2. I broke out a backup amp for the rest of the show and I got through the show.

Any ideas?

????????????

First thing would be to look inside and see if any resistors or anything else is fried, blown fuses won't smell burnt.

Comment

Egnatter TE4 Schematic

Basic troubleshooting.
      Check the power supply.
      Start at the ac mains cord & work your way through the power supply.
      Fuses, diodes, bridge rectifier.....
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X