How many here blocked at LP forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many here blocked at LP forum?

I ran into a curious thing, Spence told me he can't get into the LP forum, I've tried several times over the years to register and join in but the registration has never gone through and the hosts there don't answer my emails. Are these guys blocking small pickup makers from joining the discussions there? It would be nice to correct alot of the bullshit spewing PAF mythology some of those self appointed "experts" there are dishing out. Is this another TelecasterMasterburbators censored, controlled little society? Or am I just paranoid? Gotta go, someone is looking at me through the window I think its , oh NO...not YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

I just tried to register. It says "the administrator has banned this email address" so I tried a different address and it said the same thing.

Comment

You can't use Hotmail or the like to register. It has to be an e-mail address from an internet provider.

I had problems when I first registered but I e-mailed Lily and it was corrected.
      www.tonefordays.com

Comment

I guess the original poster's question is related to being automatically "banned" if you use a disposable email account from yahoo, hotmail, etc. That's an optional administrative feature of the vBulletin software.

When I first read the title to this thread it piqued my interest, because Lily has a history of banning hundreds of people from the LPF -- especially those people whose opinions deviate from what she's trying to sell there.
        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Hum, I tryed to regester too, with the same reply. Have'nt tryed lately. So, you have to use your personal service provider.....that is a form of censorship. I guess we will all have to register at the same time, break up some myths, and get banned for life. At least if we all come from the same place and say some interesting things we could turn some heads.......
          Possum, they are watching you!! LOL, you're getting the boot first!!
          Last edited by NightWinder; 03-23-2007, 04:04 PM. Reason: Shitty spelling booze induced coma brain freeze.

Comment

The only problem you'll run into with Lily is if you try to plug your pickups outside the Business Classifieds. Wolfe, Lollar, Jon Moore and even li'l ol' me talk pickups in there all the time, which they have no problem with as long as you're talking in a 'generic' sense and don't mention your own stuff.

Comment

ahh, so they are definately controling....."generic" ? Zhan, you got a good name at the SD forum, whatcya talking "lilo'l me? LOL

Comment

Makes me think of MIMF and talking about Gila Eban or bad lesbian jokes

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                  ahh, so they are definately controling....."generic" ?
                  They aren't doing anything different from what any other board is doing, which is keeping a lid on spam. They have a Business Classifieds section where you can subscribe for $200 for a whole year where you can, plug, advertise, and crow about your goods to your heart's content. I'm a small-fry compared to most in here, but that $200 has paid for itself many-many-many times over for me.

Originally posted by Nightwinder
                  Zhan, you got a good name at the SD forum, whatcya talking "lilo'l me? LOL
                  Well, I am kind "li'l". I probably average a baker's dozen to maybe 20 pu's in a good month. And for obvious reasons I don't even attempt to plug my pickups at SD. Yet folks do occasionally give me reviews there. Seymour lets members talk about any brand of pu's they want, which is a very cool thing, but I take the same approach there as at LPF -- talk about pu's generically maybe occasionally mention that I wind. But still I'm surprised they allow me even that long a leash.

I sell mostly single coils via the SD site and mostly humbuckers at LPF.

Comment

Originally posted by Satamax View Post
                    Makes me think of MIMF and talking about Gila Eban or bad lesbian jokes
                    Or mentioning Carol Kaye on the Bottom Line mailing list...

OK.. I must have missed the Gila Eban thing... what's up with that? Bad lesbian jokes are in poor taste anywhere...
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

One day my account just stopped working. No explaination. They just turned it off. So I deleted their bookmark. There hasn't been much worth reading over there in a long time. Years ago it was a good place to find information. The guy that started the place sold it and then they banned him. Guess that kind of says it all right there. It's sad really.

Comment

There are some very entertaining threads on that forum. I still find interesting things there after three years or so.
                        www.tonefordays.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                          Or mentioning Carol Kaye on the Bottom Line mailing list...

OK.. I must have missed the Gila Eban thing... what's up with that? Bad lesbian jokes are in poor taste anywhere...

Well, old story, Deb is not too keen on Gila, and they've had arguments in the past before i joined the mimf in something like 98/99, Up to the point that Gila got baned i think. Not sure tho. Horid jokes are good anywhere, make people show under reality's light

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                            I guess we will all have to register at the same time, break up some myths, and get banned for life. At least if we all come from the same place and say some interesting things we could turn some heads......
                            BTDT. A few years ago the most influential people at the LPF all quit at the same time. I was one of 73 old-timers who all quit on the same day. We expended a lot of effort trying to fix a serious problem, and we accomplished nothing in the end. I think that the previous comments about the founder no longer being in control any more are accurate. Dave Paetow sold out to a web designer who bought the place to commercialize it. The place changed for the worse, and a great many people left and never looked back.

At one time the LPF was a fantastic repository of information and it was populated by a very knowledgeable group of antique LP collectors/experts. The new admin took over and managed to alienate everyone who mattered. The situation become so bad that the membership became polarized, and almost all of the board's charter members and the people with the best 'burst collections quietly deleted all of their posts in protest and left to form a new forum. As a result, the board's greatest asset -- the collective knowledge of the world's best vintage LP experts and collectors -- was intentionally destroyed as a collective act of sabotage.

When the new admin figured out what happened, everyone who was involved was permanently banned, and a couple of oppressive changes were implemented in retaliation: Users can no longer edit their posts, and now you have to register with a real ISP address, so that the original members can be identified and re-banned if they attempt to register under a new name. That sort of obsessive user tracking is really a wasted effort, as none of those people who were the principal targets of those measures even care anymore. FWIW after several years I'm still banned. I haven't ever tried to re-register, but I still get the occasional stray "updated thread" message that's really nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to troll for my current IP address. I haven't taken the bait.

The demise of the LPF is a good example of how a badly run BBS can go into a self-destruct failure mode. It used to be a GREAT place -- the best place anywhere to learn about vintage LPs. The AMPS board used to be great as well. Not any more. I'm surprised that vendors will pay so much to advertise there. For years its been common knowledge that the majority of the user accounts aren't real, and the user count has been artificially inflated to fool the advertisers into thinking that they're reaching more customers than they really are.

Feel free to try to change the world if it suits you, but IME its not worth the effort.
                            "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I got the same thing when I tried to join, absolutely no response at all, no email reply after asking what the problem was either??? Just don't know what they are about??

Comment

Working...
                              X