my homemade BPSSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,
    Does the sensitivity control in the BPSSC schematic actually work?

I have a guitar that has a Tele bridge / Jazzmaster neck. I figure I should match to the JM pickup and attenuate some for the Tele, so wound a coil approximately 7" diameter and 600 turns of 32AWG.

I am trying it in a test rig with a Tele bridge pickup just mounted loose. The coil is in series with a 10k resistor across it.

The coil just seems to add noise. I have flipped the leads and it is worse one way round, but both ways are more noisy than no coil at all.

The sensitivity control just seems to dial in noise, and it is always better with the coil shorted.

What could be going on here do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
      Hello,
      Does the sensitivity control in the BPSSC schematic actually work?

I have a guitar that has a Tele bridge / Jazzmaster neck. I figure I should match to the JM pickup and attenuate some for the Tele, so wound a coil approximately 7" diameter and 600 turns of 32AWG.

I am trying it in a test rig with a Tele bridge pickup just mounted loose. The coil is in series with a 10k resistor across it.

The coil just seems to add noise. I have flipped the leads and it is worse one way round, but both ways are more noisy than no coil at all.

The sensitivity control just seems to dial in noise, and it is always better with the coil shorted.

What could be going on here do you think?
      I would start with the air coil alone (without resistor across it) and I would experiment with its physical positions around the pickup...

I've wound several of these air coils a few years ago and all of them already worked without the trim pots mentioned in the patent.

Now, I'm not sure that I would associate a noise cancelling air coil to a Jazzmaster pickup: during my own experiments, I've found that "big" single coils require so much turns in the air coil to make it work that it changes the tone.

Of course, it's just my experience. YMMV; Good luck anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X