No announcement yet.

peavey rage 158 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tip, g-one. I'll try heating them a little, and see if that helps.

Comment

Hello all,

hope someone can help me out with this.

i have a Peavey Rage 158 *(1993). I'm having a problem with it.

When I plug the guitar in all knob up, even if the amp clean tone knob is down, I can ear the sound of the guitar (1/10 of max volume). Then If I turn the volume knob up, the guitar sound lower a little and then goes up like it would normally do.

When I press the chanel button, i seem not to have any balance between supersat and gain.

if i put supersat at 2/10 of the max volume, the gain knob have almost no effect on sound volume or on sound effect.

Then if i turn the supersat volume sound comes very loud and i can only have the distortion effect if Supersat and gain are at their maximum.

it's been a while since I've use this amp, but i recall that i was amble to play distortion at reasonably low volume.

I've cleaned all pots and removed the clean tone and super sat pots to test them out of the circuit. on board every pots seems to work. Nothing look burned inside...

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot theses problems (can't turn volume off on clean channel and can't use distortion at low volume).

Thanks

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/elect...veyrage158.gif

Comment

Check the power supply voltages.
        That includes the opamps.

Check in Vdc mode & then check in Vac mode.
        (looking for abnormal ripple voltage)

Comment

Hey thanks for the answer... Hum, what you ask got quickly out of my knowledge range!!!

I'm able to test the power supply transformer it supply 23 volts AC.

After that I'm lost!

I can see the RC4558P chip and I think that's what you ask me to check.

output A 1 8 Vs +
          - input A 2 7 output B
          + Input A 3 6 Input -
          - Vs 4 5 input +

What do I check with the voltmeter and with what setting on the amp ?

I also have the TDA2040 chip which is also an op amp

1 + input
          2 - input
          3 - Vs
          4 output
          5 + Vs

Same question here, what do I check with the voltmeter and with what setting on the amp ?

thanks!

Comment

On the attached schematic, the power supply is on the lower left, Pg1.
            B1 through B5 must be checked.

The voltages are marked in Volts dc.
            So check that.
            Also, you want to measure the Volts ac that may be riding on that dc voltage.
            That will tell if a capcitor is bad or not.

Checking the health of the power supply is the first line of ascertaining what is going on with the amp.

If everything checks as good, then you have to signal test the amp.
            Attached Files

Comment

the Blazer and rage are different guitar amp.

Here is the rage diagram

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/elect...veyrage158.gif

Forgot to say that I only know basic electronic skills such as plugging a voltmeter in parallel and ampmeter in series (learned that in high school 20 years ago!!!) I can solder unsolder stuff and check capacitor and ohms reading but that's about it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	peaveyrage158.gif
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	832311

In this drawing, I've underline four voltage 27,28, 13 and 14. i can put the red pin of my multimeter at these place, but where do i put the black pin son i can check these voltages?

Comment

The Rage and Blazer are the same amps, the Rage is just a Blazer without the reverb. If you ignore the reverb circuit in the Blazer, you have the Rage.

All voltage readings are taken with respect to ground unless otherwise specified. That means the black probe to chassis.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Great!

Thanks to you two for the good hints.

I'll check that tonight.

Cheers!

Comment

Ok here is what I've got:

Transformer output is 23v AC

and after I have the following:
                    28 volts is 29v
                    14 volts is 13v
                    27 volts is 28v
                    13 volts is 14v

Slight difference in voltage...

Comment

Those are all fine.

It is going to be a matter of tracing the signal path.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I finally got around to taking my Rage apart. I managed to get the knobs off the pot shafts by using a flat-head screwdriver, and pushing from the inside. The input jack was the source of the horrible noise. It was practically falling off the circuit board. I soldered it back in place and the amp now works flawlessly. Thanks guys for your advice, it's appreciated.

BTW, I'm using the Rage at home with a Zoom G2 multi effects and they sound great together.

Comment

Hi All,

I have 2 Peavey amp (Rage 158 & Blazer 158), both Red Stripe.
                          My Blazer has a problem: the "Bass" and "Middle" controls (EQ) do not work. The "Treble" control is OK.
                          Any tips on where can be the problem? I have some knowledge of electronics, but not much...
                          Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english.

Comment

Working...
                          X