Teletronix LA-2A tube compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teletronix LA-2A tube compressor

I normally build guitar amps, but I had a commission recently to do a reproduction of an old UA/Teletronix LA-2A rack mount tube compressor for studio work. So far the projects been a lot of fun, so I decided to start a blog to document the build:

Wombat Amplification

I've only made a few minor tweaks to the basic circuit, but added DC heaters in order to absolutely minimize the noise floor. As usual, I redid the layout to my taste. Everythings coming along pretty well. I still need to finalize the ground scheme (the one shown in my current drawings is no good), but the way it's set up I can mess with that right up until the end.

That's pretty neat. I'd like to build one but heaven knows I don't need another half finished project in my shop!

jamie

Comment

Looks great!

Jamie, I've heard that called "polyprojectitis". There is a 12-step program to cure it.

1. Admit that you have a problem and your addiction is stronger than you.
      2-11. Finish the 10 best projects.
      12. Throw all the remaining crap away.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Who did the front panel?
        I have completed 2- drip opto's and from sourcing parts I have quite a few parts that I ordered doubles
        resistors ,caps, T4 cell's (drips and UA's),par metal enclosure etc I'll be making the turret boards some time this summer and will follow the cayocosta layout with sowter iron
        But I'll need help with the enclosure and would like to have it engraved

Comment

Originally posted by etneccas View Post
          Who did the front panel?
          I have completed 2- drip opto's and from sourcing parts I have quite a few parts that I ordered doubles
          resistors ,caps, T4 cell's (drips and UA's),par metal enclosure etc I'll be making the turret boards some time this summer and will follow the cayocosta layout with sowter iron
          But I'll need help with the enclosure and would like to have it engraved
          Well, I did the design work, but it was engraved by a friend who doesn't do it commercially I'm afraid. But BNP lasers has done good work for me in the past, they can probably do 3U faceplates on request.

Comment

tanx.......i'll google it

Comment

Amp finished

I think. Still needs to be tested in the studio, but fires up and voltages looks good.
              Tons of pics of the finished unit, inside and out, at the blog: Wombat Amplification
              Hope to get it in for proper testing an evening later this week. This was definitely a fun project. Maybe an EQP-1A next?

Comment

Working...
              X