Just bought a Ampeg V4B....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a Ampeg V4B....

on the back of the amplifier it says "ext. speaker", "speaker" and then "ext. amp". what are the differences between ext speaker and ext amp?
    Last edited by rocketpastthemoon; 03-31-2007, 03:02 AM.

"speaker" is for the main (first) speaker cabinet you connect
    "Ext. speaker" is where you would plug in a second speaker cabinet. This only works if there is already a speaker cab plugged into "speaker"
    "Ext. amp" is a line level output that is for driving a slave power amp with its own separate speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
      "speaker" is for the main (first) speaker cabinet you connect
      "Ext. speaker" is where you would plug in a second speaker cabinet. This only works if there is already a speaker cab plugged into "speaker"
      "Ext. amp" is a line level output that is for driving a slave power amp with its own separate speaker.
      ok thats exactly what i thought, i was just confused with the ext amp....so i could run the V4b in front of say my twin reverb. I always figured that was done through a DI output.

Comment

Originally posted by rocketpastthemoon View Post
        ok thats exactly what i thought, i was just confused with the ext amp....so i could run the V4b in front of say my twin reverb. I always figured that was done through a DI output.
        The external amp output is a "line level" signal which is around 1 Volt RMS. This will overload the input of a typical guitar amp. It is intended that you run the external amp output into an external amp input, line level in, FX return or other similar input designed for high level signals that have already been EQed.

Comment

The external amp output is a "line level" signal which is around 1 Volt RMS. This will overload the input of a typical guitar amp. It is intended that you run the external amp output into an external amp input, line level in, FX return or other similar input designed for high level signals that have already been EQed.
          gotcha i have an FX loop on my jcm 800 and i figured that would have the same type of effect as if i just plugged it straight into the front. I havent ran many amps through others, usually just into a cab. so good thing i checked before i started plugging things in where they shouldnt to find out what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by rocketpastthemoon View Post
            gotcha i have an FX loop on my jcm 800 and i figured that would have the same type of effect as if i just plugged it straight into the front. I havent ran many amps through others, usually just into a cab. so good thing i checked before i started plugging things in where they shouldnt to find out what happens.
            Jamie,
            Yea. Try the JCM800 FX return.
            You actually can try running the ext amp out from the Ampeg V4B to the input of your Twin Reverb. By "overload the input stage" I meant that you would likely get some extra distortion NOT that you would damage the Twin. Feel free to give it a try. Use the number 2 input since that will attenuate the signal 6dB. Adjust the Twin controls to taste and you may like it. Just remember that the signal has already been EQed in the Ampeg so the tone control settings on the Twin will end up being set much differently than if the guitar was plugged directly into the Twin.
            Have Fun,
            Tom

Comment

Jamie,
              Yea. Try the JCM800 FX return.
              You actually can try running the ext amp out from the Ampeg V4B to the input of your Twin Reverb. By "overload the input stage" I meant that you would likely get some extra distortion NOT that you would damage the Twin. Feel free to give it a try. Use the number 2 input since that will attenuate the signal 6dB. Adjust the Twin controls to taste and you may like it. Just remember that the signal has already been EQed in the Ampeg so the tone control settings on the Twin will end up being set much differently than if the guitar was plugged directly into the Twin.
              Have Fun,
              Tom
              that's exactly what I needed to know, thanks a ton.

Comment

Working...
              X