No announcement yet.

Brass Bobbin Retainer Screws--magnetic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Bobbin Retainer Screws--magnetic?

As many of you already know....total newb here just getting ready to start my first winds.

I've been taking apart spare pickups to prep as rewinds. I found some of the brass bobbin retainer screws are magnetic, others aren't. Can someone explain this?

'57 PAF reissue - all 4 screws are magnetic

Gotoh - (2 p'ups) none of the 8 screws are magnetic

New Gibbo p'up - 1 of 3 screws magnetic (weird)

I'm no metalurgist so I don't even know if brass is supposed to be magnetic. Help? Are there tonal implications?

Brass is not magnetic.

I have a suspicion that what they used are steel screws that have a Gold Passavate coating.
    sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

sounds like the are cutting corners. Brass is not magnetic.

I believe the magnetic screws will make for a darker pickup, but I’ve never actually played with it to see though. If the threads on the screws are the same you should try swapping the magnetic ones with the real brass ones and tell us if you can hear a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by corduroyew View Post
        I believe the magnetic screws will make for a darker pickup, but I’ve never actually played with it to see though.
        That's more or less what Seth Lover said in that interview too. They used brass screws vs. steel because they aren't magnetic.

I think having extra magnetic metal close to the coils might raise the inductance some. That's not bad or good... all depends on what you are trying to do.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Interesting...

I'll try replacing the magnetic ones with brass. Odd that the newer Gibbo p'up have just one screw that was magnetic. Go figure. I have another newer Gibbo but I haven't taken it apart yet. Wonder what I'll find.

Comment

I've found that magnetic screws tend to raise microphonics and alter a lot the pickup final sound. This isn't good or bad... just different..

In my country is a bit difficult to find little brass screws, but I found that some stainless steel screws are also non-magnetic and use them with ceramic pickups as a replacement for brass screws...

Greetings,
            Ben

Comment

Working...
            X