Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Heritage VTX blows cathode drive transistors

peavey-heritage-vtx.pdf

I replaced the output tubes since the fault ate up one of the old set. first I tried an MJ15024 for one of the drivers which lasted several hours. The same transistor blew. Then I bought a new set of 6465's from CE dist. (the "proper" transistor) and replaced both of the drivers. This time the amp lasted about two minutes. All surrounding parts look good. I don't think the tubes are at fault, since they all draw about equal current in my cheap a$$ tube checker. I told the customer I'd buy back the tubes and give him his labor money back. He agreed to take the loss on the drivers for taking a shot at it. I'm giving up on this unless someone can come up with something to try. It's a weird circuit. The tubes have to be in and the amp has to be operating in order to measure any operating voltages. Thanks for your time!

Well let's start with this.
    Do you have 0.522 Vdc on the base of Q7 & Q9?
    There are a slew of voltages labeled on the schematic.
    Do all of the voltages stated in the output driver section agree with observation & the schematic?
    Are all off the resistors between Q6 through Q9 intact & terminated properly?
    Something has to be off.

Comment

Got it fixed. I decided to just pull all the caps and semiconductors out and replace them. I had gotten as far as replacing all the e-caps, and pulled the pre-driver transistors, Q6 and Q8. One of them was leaky. Of course that didn't show up in a resistance check while they were in circuit. This post is for those who like to know how a repair turned out.

Comment

Working...
      X