Old GE turntable - please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old GE turntable - please help

Found an old GE Wildcat turntable. Just like the one I had back in the day. Placed an album on it, and it dropped it fine, but the tone arm moves too far into the album - like as far as it would for probably a 45. Tried the reject switch, tried turning off and back on. It plays well, sounds decent - for what it is. Just would like to figure out how to get it to drop the arm at the beginning of the album like it should. I cant even pick the arm up to move it to the beginning...it will go right back to where it wants to be. Its like there is a spring pulling it that far in, that wont let it play from the start. Any ideas?

Well the chances are good that it is nothing but a VM (Voice of Music) turntable with the GE aesthetics on it. There is quite a jungle of levers & such underneath that beast & it would be very difficult to try to give you the exact lever/assy to clean & relube to get this thing working, not to mention jogging my memory about those from some 30yrs ago!

I just pulled up some images of the Wildcat turntable...I can't say for certain if that is a VM variety as I don't really see any of the common VM earmarks, tho it still could be a dummed down version of the VM without automatic record size detection...looks like it has a manual record size lever.

Here is a site that I discovered but haven't investigated that might steer you to what you need to do.
    Basically as this age, the whole mech would need to be cleaned of the old dried up grease. Then the appropriate grease reapplied to where it is supposed to be...note, there are a few places in the mechanism that should not be greased.

Voice Of Music, V-M Audio Enthusiasts Good luck. glen

Comment

Working...
    X