Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey VTM 60/120 'Dual Tone Stack' MOD

Peavey VTM 60/120 'Dual Tone Stack Mod' using Stacked Pots

I decided to draw up the tone stack mod to go with the 'Dual Channel' mod.

This mod is just as easy to implement as the other one.

Using 'stacked' pots for the tone controls and a relay, you wire it up so that the 'outer' controls will be on for 'channel one' and then when you switch to 'channel two',using the foot switch, the 'inner' controls will be on. In order for the channels and tone circuits to switch 'together' you just need to wire the relays, for both the channel and tone, to the same foot switch. I would use a 'non shorting' jack on the back so that 'channel one' is on when no foot switch is used.

You may have to do a little work to the circuit board for this mod, depending upon whether or not there will be enough room to make the connections, and run a jumper wire from the Treble control back to the 'Post' pot.

I plan on cutting out the part of the circuit board where the tone controls are soldered in and mount the pots on the front panel. Then I'll just run wire from the pots to the circuit board and relay to tie them in.
    You will need a 9 pin relay. And you'll need a 1 amp diode and cap for the relay power to tap off the 6.3 volt heater.

Remember, you are only changing the pots, so the rest of the tone circuit components would stay the same.

A schematic with the board layouts will come in real handy for this. They can be downloaded from HERE

I haven't done this mod yet so if anyone out there decides to give I try before I do, let me know how it goes.
    The caps ,C5,C6 and C6 are pre-existing in the amp and would be the 'tie in' points for the pots.

If I've missed anything or you find and error please let me know.

Note: The circuit appears to show 'High 2' and 'Low 2' reversed from 'High 1' and 'Low 1'.

They are actually 'mirrored'. The outer connections would just be tied together and the center wipers would go to the relay.

Another member on a different forum suggested that the original circuit just 'didn't look right'. And he was right.

I started to rethink the connections for the 'low' pots to the relay and realized I had them switching the 'wipers', which was wrong.

I made corrections to the schematic and it now shows the correct way to make the connections.

Comment

Working...
    X