No announcement yet.

What does the triode/pentode switch do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the triode/pentode switch do?

Hi guys.

I have a Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack and I have old stock tubes in it. It have a 15/7 watt switch and I wonder how that work. Does it cut halves of the 4 tubes or cut 2 out of 4 tubes? Or does it just reduce the voltage instead?

I was wondering if I will wear out the halves of the tubes using 7 watts exclusively.

Thanks guys.

A triode is a tube with 3 components: a control grid (signal goes in here), a plate (signal comes out here) & a cathode (much of the time a resistor goes from this to ground to bias the tube, other times the cathode is just grounded and a negative voltage applied to the grid to bias the tube).

A Pentode has 2 more components, a screen grid & a surpressor grid...a pentode can be more efficient & make more power.

Your switch just selects these 2 modes probably by tieing the plate & screen grid supplies together for "triode" mode, that's where the power drop comes from, all tubes are still functioning, they will normally be biased the same (within reason), it shouldn't wear out your tubes any quicker.

Comment

So it's really a voltage drop for lower wattage. Good to know, I was worried that I'll wear the tubes unevenly.

Thanks.

Comment

Not a voltage drop, a power drop by putting the power tubes into a less efficient mode of operation...but yes, it won't wear the tubes unevenly, nor lead to their early demise.

Comment

Unless I'm way off I think that triode mode could actually extend tube life. With the possible exception that the screens are at a higher than ideal voltage and the affect from this. Otherwise, IIRC, triode mode would ideally use a lower primary Z. So with the same OT and speaker load you would be presenting a higher than ideal primary Z which typically means less tube wear but harder on the amp components. Which shouldn't be any problem at the lower wattage. So other than the increased capacitance (assumed from my percieved top end loss in triode mode) it's a win/win.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

In case it matters, it's a class A push/pull.

This amp is great and as to what the maker says it's overbuilt so it's pretty heavy duty. That was the selling point for me. No onboard FXs either so it's sweet for my pedals.

Comment

It switches the amp from pentode to triode and back. Ok, just ignore this post.

Comment

Working...
              X