64 super reverb speaker choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 super reverb speaker choices

I just bought a 64 super reverb chassis, I want to hook it up to a JBL D130F, the speaker I'm looking at has no cone so I will be reconing it. Would it be better to recone it with a 4ohm or a 8ohm. I know the lower you go the more chance you have of blowing you speaker or your amp, but the super reverb has 4 8ohms in parallel making it a load of 2ohms which is lower than what I would be looking at. Would it be a good idea to go with the 4ohm or will the 8ohm sound better?

Originally posted by truetone View Post
    I just bought a 64 super reverb chassis, I want to hook it up to a JBL D130F, the speaker I'm looking at has no cone so I will be reconing it. Would it be better to recone it with a 4ohm or a 8ohm.
    Given the choice, 4 Ohm would be better than 8 Ohm for a Super Reverb which, as you correctly stated, is 2 Ohm output impedance.

Originally posted by truetone View Post
    I know the lower you go the more chance you have of blowing you speaker or your amp...
    Don't know where that comes from. The bottom line is to match the output impedance of the amp.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post

Don't know where that comes from. The bottom line is to match the output impedance of the amp.

Tom
      I'm with you Tom and I hear that so often but it's really not about a short it's opens and mistakes that cause failures. As for the speaker, the lower the ohms the louder it is and the better it sounds. Of course speaker choice and wattage has a lot to do with it also.
      KB

Comment

Working...
      X