one amp, two guitars: one with good volume pot behavior and other with bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one amp, two guitars: one with good volume pot behavior and other with bad

I modded a marshall to give very good clean to crunch transitions with the stock volume knob on an Ibanez S470. unfortunately, the amp does not achieve such a transition with a gretsch 6118 that is also pretty fun to play through the marshall. The gretsch goes from nearly inaudible to full crunch over about 10% of the vol. sweep leaving 90% of the sweep doing nothing and no practical semi-clean range.

I assume something about the tone/vol stack on the gretsch is loading down the divider in the amp input stage, but not sure if it is just a volume pot value difference or whether I need to plan a more extensive mod to the gretsch wiring layout to achieve the same vol. pot functionality.

Thank you in advance for guidance on what this issue is technically and any suggestions on things I should test, plan to do, etc.

You probably need an A10 type audio taper volume pot in the Gretsch to get the same range.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Did you try plugging the Gretsch into input 2 of the Marshall?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        You probably need an A10 type audio taper volume pot in the Gretsch to get the same range.
        I agree it's the pot's taper. Find out what kind of pot is in the Ibanez and use one with the same taper in the Gretsch.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Aren't some Gretsches wired "wrong way round"? That is, the input lug is the wiper.

Could that be the culprit, rather than the taper?

Comment

That's how Fender Jazz basses and Rickenbackers are wired, so that you can shut one pickup off and not have both shut off.

They don't have that sudden drop off though. One thing that seems to help Jazz basses in mixing pickups is using linear taper pots.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              One thing that seems to help Jazz basses in mixing pickups is using linear taper pots.
              Which can work fine for a clean sound. But once you get into clipping a linear taper jumps from off to grind much too fast. I like the A10 taper for guitars I use for distortion tones.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
              X