Single coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coils

I would just like to pose a question. Is there one single example of the elusive
    vintage single coil sound every one is searching for? In music I hear tons of teles and
    strats each sounding different. What is the benchmark the sound has to meet to be the
    authentic vintage sound ? Just wondering if I have heard it unawares. Thank You.

Each brand had there vintage trademark sound.
    In Single Coils Gibson had that vintage P-90 Sound.
    Fender the Tele, and Strat Tones.
    Probably the Strat was the most Famous of the 2, but The Tele has a strong following.
    That's just to name a few.
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

There are way too many variables to single out an iconic "single coil tone". Every notable player has his own signature tone as well. I know players that sound like themselves no matter what gear they play through.

Comment

Hello,
        With all the hotter wound unpotted pickup sound bites, I am hearing Tesico Del Ray. I guess I am just missing it

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          Each brand had there vintage trademark sound.
          In Single Coils Gibson had that vintage P-90 Sound.
          Fender the Tele, and Strat Tones.
          Probably the Strat was the most Famous of the 2, but The Tele has a strong following.
          That's just to name a few.
          Terry

With all of the unpotted hotter single coil vintage pickups, I'm hearing Tesico Del Ray!

Comment

Many variables, and many different sounds when it comes to single coils.
            The guitar it's mounted in has a huge influence on the sound.
            A Mahogany P-90 Les Paul sure doesn't sound like a Alder, or Ash 3 S.C. Stratocaster!
            Keep Rockin!
            Terry
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

The guitar it's mounted in has a huge influence on the sound.
              A Mahogany P-90 Les Paul sure doesn't sound like a Alder, or Ash 3 S.C. Stratocaster!
              True, but the real reason for that is the scale length! I have a dual humbucker FirstAct guitar that is probably made from basswood or poplar or something light like that. It has a 25.5" scale like a Fender, and has the twang of a Tele, even with the humbuckers. So make a Fender scale guitar from mahogany, and it will still sound a lot like a Fender.
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Very true ,put a Paf with a Alnico 2 magnet in the neck of a tele & you dont get that same honky tone .
                "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I agree to a point.
                  My point is that just because it's a single coil, not all guitars sound a like.
                  I have a rev. Head Ibanez clone 25.5", with 2 humbuckers.
                  It doesn't sound anything like a Strat or Tele.
                  It has basswood, and Sounds great, but has it's own sound.
                  It still surprises me how distinct each guitar can sound.
                  I built a set of pickups for a friend I tested them in my Agile Les Paul Copy.
                  He bought the exact same Agile guitar and his sounded different, I had to make some adjustments to the pickups to get them to sound right.
                  The only noticeable difference seemed to be the density of the wood.
                  An interesting hobby.
                  There are guidlines to follow, but there will always be exceptions to every rule.
                  Peace,
                  Rock On!
                  B_T
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
                    Very true ,put a Paf with a Alnico 2 magnet in the neck of a tele & you dont get that same honky tone .
                    How about a PAF with A2 in the neck of a Charvel Strat with a birdseye maple Tele neck?

PAF Neck
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

My point is that just because it's a single coil, not all guitars sound a like.
                      Not all single coils sound alike too. Also, I guess we mean "Fender single coil"? That's certainly not the only type of single coil tone, and I'd rather hear a DeArmond Goldfoil or even some Tesico pickups! I'm so tired of only hearing Fender and Gibson tones.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        Not all single coils sound alike too. Also, I guess we mean "Fender single coil"? That's certainly not the only type of single coil tone, and I'd rather hear a DeArmond Goldfoil or even some Tesico pickups! I'm so tired of only hearing Fender and Gibson tones.
                        I like them all when it comes to tones.
                        My favorite is the Les Paul Humbucker tone, even though as you say, it sounded good the first several million times We heard it!
                        Like some of the Rock songs(Rolling Stones), they sounded good the first 10 years you heard them everyday!
                        I'm not familiar with the tesico's.
                        Tell Us more about them, you may have some pictures.
                        Thanks,
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Rolling Stones

Hello,
                          Keith Richards uses a Tele, sometimes tuned in open G with only 5 strings

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            True, but the real reason for that is the scale length!
                            Well, that is one factor. But tuning a Fender down a half step and putting a capo on the first fret does not make it sound like an LP. In fact , given how different various guitars of the same scale length sound, how could scale length be anything but just one factor in the differences between guitars?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
                              Well, that is one factor. But tuning a Fender down a half step and putting a capo on the first fret does not make it sound like an LP. In fact , given how different various guitars of the same scale length sound, how could scale length be anything but just one factor in the differences between guitars?
                              That's true, but it makes it sound more Gibsonish. I have a FirstAct GarageMaster, which is built like a LP Jr, and has a T-O-M bridge, and 2 humbuckers. It's 25.5 scale like a Fender. It doesn't sound like a Gibson, and has a lot of twang like a Tele.

Longer scale instruments are have more twang, while shorter scales are tubbier sounding. This is also true for basses.

But obviously sticking a short scale neck on a Strat won't make it sound like a LP either, but it also doesn't sound exactly like a Strat.

Here's one I built for someone that uses a Gibson scale length "conversion neck":

It had more of a Gibson vibe than that of a Strat.

Comment

Working...
                              X