VHT special 6 repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHT special 6 repair

I just received one of these and is has a burnt resistor. The color code is burnt off so I can not tell what the values are to replace it. Can any one help.

Pic: Deleted pic. Didn't link like that when i first posted. Sorry
    Last edited by jtlee75; 07-03-2011, 02:31 AM.

What does it connect to. The amp appears to be fairly simple, but i cannot see in the photo well enough. Is that an octal socket for perhaps a single output tube? And does the resistor go to a pin on it? And the other end? Was anything else wrong with the amp that you already repaired? Or is it part of the dropping string in the B+? Once we know what it does, we can make educated guesses as to a likely value. B+ dropping resistor, screen node resistor, cathode resistor, etc...

I would also query VHT themselves. Worst that could happen is they ignore you, but they just might be helpful, you never know until you ask. It would help them if you could tell them what it connects to rather than just the picture.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Maybe this helps:
      http://vhtamp.com/pdf/VHT_Special_6_...ic_5-17-10.pdf
      Good luck
      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

clicking on the resistor area of the picture to expand it redirected me to a website where it promised me ripped abs-as if it'd make any difference to a 63 year old guy. You ought to do better with your picture host unless your intent is primarily to promote ripped abs.

Comment

Hi prairie dawg.
          Intrigued, I checked what you say, because yesterday night I had opened the picture with no problem at all.
          I also got into VHT's site, that's where I found the schematic. No problem either.
          *Maybe* you have something, perhaps a "utility" toolbar or something like that which has already hijacked your computer.
          The hosting site is Imageshack, which I use regularly too.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Yeah, I got the same "ripped abs" pop up.
            I don't know if I would want to look like that.

Comment

Maybe my using Firefox with "No Script", "Ad Block Plus" and Webmail Ad Blocker" add-on extensions activated makes me immune to such hijacks.
              I do not use a specific antivirus program, but these paranoid gatekeepers which do not trust anybody, no matter how innocent they look.
              So far (touch wood), they work very well.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I tried it again and this time clicking on the boxed resistor got me Anthony Bourdain or some other chef. Imageshack is embedding stuff in your photos.

Comment

I got 2 popups when I clicked on the resistor.
                  They got the advertising, and spam down to a science.
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

I dissected the Imageshack page.
                    If you open ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting you get the regular page, which of course includes the desired images, but also is chock full of "alien" scripts, half from googleads, which I think are the culprits in this case; and half from Facebook, which track and register any move you do.
                    If you open http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7...trestistor.jpg instead, you just open the "clean" picture, without accompanying junk.
                    Clicking it only switched from full size to screen-reduced one and back.
                    Check it.
                    Big Brother Rules !!!
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I don't have another special in front of me and the blue box is kinda blocking it a bit but, is that the 470 3w screen resistor? Does one end of it go to the hi power/low power switch and the other go to pin 4 on the power tube?

Comment

Left it at the the shop. I'll go check it out tomorrow and trace a little closer. I think it tabs to the red wire and that leads to the hi/lo switch. If so then it may be the 330 ohm 5 watt.

Comment

OK. Its a 330 ohm 5 Watt. Any recommendations where to order from.

Comment

about $0.5 at Mouser

axial 286-330-RC
                            286-330-RC Xicon Metal Oxide Resistors

radial TWM5J330E
                            TWM5J330E Ohmite Metal Oxide Resistors

Comment

Working...
                            X