pignose g40v power transformer replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pignose g40v power transformer replacement

I have one of these here with a blown PT, and was wondering what would be a good replacement for it? I was thinking a deluxe PT would do but it claims to be a 40 watt amp. So would a bassman PT be the one?
    here's the schematic, any help would be appreciated
    Attached Files

I had one of those in for a power transformer problem.
    The fusable link in the primary winding went open.

Comment

How did that work out for the amp? I guess it didn't come back with the same problem, right?
      I've read that the PT are not so good and so I considering replacing it.
      I see there is 7.2 v filament supply , should that be a concern?

Comment

Is that 7.2 volt reading without the tubes installed? You're also going to need to watch the footprint as things are pretty crowded therein.

Comment

I still haven't got PT working. I'm going to try to replace the fusible link and then I will check that out. Thanks.

I was thinking of just taking out the fusible link and go without it, is this not a good idea?

Comment

Don't replace the fusible link. The fact that it opened is an indication of severe heating of the transformer core, and winding insulation may be compromised. Replace the transformer.

The Hot Rod Deluxe is a 40W amp that uses a bridge rectifier like your Pignose. Get yourself one of those. The Fender part# is: 003-6958-000, and they are relatively cheap.
            John R. Frondelli
            dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Thanks John!, $39.95 @ CE that certainly is 'relatively cheap'

Comment

Did you have any trouble mounting the Hot Rod Deluxe tranny in your pignose?

Comment

Had to cut a larger hole in the chassis..
                  I used a dremel . Wasn't the most beautiful hole but it worked well.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but if I found it I'm sure someone else has. Instead of cutting a big hole you can replace the 4 transformer bolts with longer ones and raise the transformer above the chassis. Then you only need to drill a 3/4" hole in the chassis. looks a little odd but works great. Sen this on an old amplifier from the 60's. I've done it a couple times myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X